Arkansas River frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloop

I visit Russellville frequently and I would like to know what frequencies are used by the boats pushing barges on the Arkansas River through Lake Dardenelle.

sloop

Thanks for all the responses. Nothing is listed under Pope county or Arkansas state frequencies. I will have to try scanning all marine freq., only problem is there are so many and transmissions are usually brief you may have to listen a long time to actually 'latch on to' their channel. Even more of a problem if they use several channels and the river traffic is light.....but I will try that next time. Thanks again.

wbswetnam

I live in Russellville and sometimes I listen to the marine traffic passing by on the river. I live just 2 miles from it. I'd suggest just listening to all of the marine frequencies. Many scanners allow you to do a 'service' search which includes marine frequencies.

Incidentally, I'm thinking of setting up a live audio stream of all marine frequencies from this QTH on Broadcastify. I will use a BCT125AT which will upload text tags along with the audio.

ecps92

Likely nothing would ever be in the DB, as everyone shares VHF Marine channels, they would not be exclusive to a user, except by a gentlemens agreement for local users.

Unlike them having their own Business frequency assigned by the FCC
Thanks for all the responses. Nothing is listed under Pope county or Arkansas state frequencies. I will have to try scanning all marine freq., only problem is there are so many and transmissions are usually brief you may have to listen a long time to actually 'latch on to' their channel. Even more of a problem if they use several channels and the river traffic is light.....but I will try that next time. Thanks again.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Keep a close listen on:

156.8000 Ch. 16 is a general calling frequency.

156.6500 Ch. 13 is used for traffic - especially heavy around bridges & locks & damns

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Unlike them having their own Business frequency assigned by the FCC

Not so fast....as an example, if you look at Shelby Co., TN there are a few marine terminals that have marine licenses listed with the FCC Service MC.

Several "boat stores" in Memphis - Economy Boat Store & Ergon Marine - that operate fuel flats to refuel tows passing thru & to resupply groceries and personal items to crews aboard the towboats.

Altho Pope Co., AR has no such licenses listed.....sorry.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
When I got home this evening I looked at Russellville & Dardanelle on Google Maps to see if there were any terminals or such local. Just south of the Hwy 27 bridge I saw two docks, one for a grain facility and below that a dock for Mobley Construction for handling sand and gravel.

Mobley does have an IG license, but no MC.

If ya can monitor near the river such as that you can see the boat (good binoculars are a must), listen for their name & look at their logo on their exhaust stacks to figure out who operates it. Google the name like this: 'm/v Fletcher Armstrong' the 'm/v' is for motor vessel. Should have a tracker page.....

FLETCHER ARMSTRONG 432

That's our fuel flat & tow boat that services larger tows coming thru Memphis. We are on Ch 79.

Now, if ya ever come to Memphis I'll give a whole list of folks to listen for!

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Yeah, all the Mississippi River spots are busy when the river is not wanting to flood, or be too low in drought. At least from St. Louis down to NOLA. Have not monitored above there. And yep, the Ship To Shore phone ones can be interesting sometimes too.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I've not monitored that in a long time....

My first scanner was a Pro 62 that could get analog cell phones. That was back in 94-95.

Still have that radio....sucks that it loses programming if ya take batteries out.

That was my spy radio back before cell phones were common and folks still had cordless phones....oh the stories I could tell....baby monitors too ...

Living in a large apartment complex was a target rich environment. LOL

ecps92

Having a Marine license, does not allow exclusive rights to the channels, they still have to share.

Not so fast....as an example, if you look at Shelby Co., TN there are a few marine terminals that have marine licenses listed with the FCC Service MC.

Several "boat stores" in Memphis - Economy Boat Store & Ergon Marine - that operate fuel flats to refuel tows passing thru & to resupply groceries and personal items to crews aboard the towboats.

Altho Pope Co., AR has no such licenses listed.....sorry.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Having a Marine license, does not allow exclusive rights to the channels, they still have to share.

Correct, just like ambulance services have to get a license to operate on the statewide HEAR freq of 155.3400, etc.

It's all about generating revenue, Lord knows the frequency spectrum didn't exist until the FCC was created to regulate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.