ARM processor

mrhermit

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to buy a new laptop that uses the new Snapdragon processor. It is an ARM processor. From what I am reading some Windows programs may not work with this ARM processor. So my question is, does anyone know if the software from Uniden, Whistler or Butel will work with an ARM processor?

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I doubt it. Totally different OS. Programs need to be written for that OS.
More so it needs to be written for the hardware platform as well. An x86 program on an ARM instance of windows wouldn’t work due to the addressing being different.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Ahem. You can run x64 programs on Windows for ARM. Microsoft did a pretty good job with the x64 emulation layer.

The issue becomes the various ports needed, and it can be hit or miss if you're using USB or 9-pin Serial for communications. There was a thread awhile back, which indicated the Whistler software is 100% no-go, but with the others - until someone does it, no one really knows. I doubt there will be much re-compiling for ARM happening with the limited market.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Ahem. You can run x64 programs on Windows for ARM. Microsoft did a pretty good job with the x64 emulation layer.

The issue becomes the various ports needed, and it can be hit or miss if you're using USB or 9-pin Serial for communications. There was a thread awhile back, which indicated the Whistler software is 100% no-go, but with the others - until someone does it, no one really knows. I doubt there will be much re-compiling for ARM happening with the limited market.
When Apple switched to ARM processers with the M1 a few years back I bought a Mac Mini to see if it worked with any radio stuff. While Bootcamp no longer worked as it depended on an Intel processor, Parallels did. More recent versions of Parallels did even better. These used Windows for ARM which has been updated since then.

Most applications seemed to work fine but there were issues with drivers for some older serial cables like the USB-1. If your radio has a USB port (Like the SDS, x36 and P2 series) instead of a serial port (like the 996XT etc.) then you should be fine with a SnapDragon ARM processor and the ARM version of Windows.

CPS 2.0 software itself works fine, but radio communication with the computer are a no go unfortunately. I think the main problem is drivers, not the software itself.

N9JIG

Sheriff
CPS 2.0 software itself works fine, but radio communication with the computer are a no go unfortunately. I think the main problem is drivers, not the software itself.
That seems to be the crux of the issue, the software usually works fine but drivers are the biggest issue. I had the same issue with Parallels on the ARM Mac's.