• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Armada Software + VP8000

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
How much does Armada cost? Is it a buy it one time thing or do you have to pay some sort of recurring fee?
Both
You can buy the cd version or get a 5 yr subscription with vault access and updates as they come out.
LIST is 595.00 for 5 year
LIST is 415.00 for the CD

1679542018226.png

wd8chl

My desktop (Win11) works fine connecting to VP8000. My MacBook running Win10 under Parallels even works. My toughbook running Win10 says device malfunctioned and not recognized. Missing a driver perhaps? Toughbook is i5 CF31. Toughbook has no problem with NX5xxx radios but then again I'm using the UART selection on cable. Is toughbook just too old?

Which cable are you using? Generally, the 36X cable with the switch doesn't work with the 8000. It normally wants the new 236U cable, but there is mods for the 36X to make it work. They are not easy mods though.
5000's will work with the 36X cable in USB mode. If it isn't, you have a problem. Probably driver.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
I have not been able to resolve connecting to VP8000 with my toughbook and now I find that county/city technical services is also having issues (they have 4 eval units). The next county over auxcomm EC is a radio head guy who checked out a vp8000 eval radio from work and he couldn’t get either of his computers to connect with it. None of us have the newest 8000 specific cable. Mine is 03550, radio shop 03551 (works on at least one of their laptops). None of us have any issues with any other radios including non 8000 Kenwoods. Our kvl’s work but that is entirely different communication protocol. From a public safety perspective this is quite troubling. Being able to use whatever computer is at hand to program radios is actually important especially for our strike type teams which often program in the field given they could be sent anywhere in the US or it’s territories. Traveling light I often have only a few ssd’s loaded with software and data (and cables) since where I’m going have computers On-site. (This is why my NX radios are out of favor for field work due to software activation schemes). Presently my confidence level is low for system. I also have a personal vp8000 I paid for so I’m motivated to find a solid combat ready solution that is computer agnostic.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I have not been able to resolve connecting to VP8000 with my toughbook and now I find that county/city technical services is also having issues (they have 4 eval units). The next county over auxcomm EC is a radio head guy who checked out a vp8000 eval radio from work and he couldn’t get either of his computers to connect with it. None of us have the newest 8000 specific cable. Mine is 03550, radio shop 03551 (works on at least one of their laptops). None of us have any issues with any other radios including non 8000 Kenwoods. Our kvl’s work but that is entirely different communication protocol. From a public safety perspective this is quite troubling. Being able to use whatever computer is at hand to program radios is actually important especially for our strike type teams which often program in the field given they could be sent anywhere in the US or it’s territories. Traveling light I often have only a few ssd’s loaded with software and data (and cables) since where I’m going have computers On-site. (This is why my NX radios are out of favor for field work due to software activation schemes). Presently my confidence level is low for system. I also have a personal vp8000 I paid for so I’m motivated to find a solid combat ready solution that is computer agnostic.
I will find out if my toughbook (CF-30) will have the same issue. I have a 3551 36XM cable myself.
Just waiting on the radios to come in.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
Why not use the Wifi Programming? Forget the cable.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
I don know how. I’m guessing you have to cable in first to set up IP address?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I don know how. I’m guessing you have to cable in first to set up IP address?
YES, and you also need OTIP enabled in the options of the radio also,
Then you can program using your wifi that your PC is on the same network of the wifi.
1680305266950.png

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Help file says only mobiles can use OTIP. Even so I'm not sure how to set it up anyway. Setting up my local network for PSK etc seems like a lot of work. In the field there may not be a network. Clearly the option is aimed at reprogramming radios while they are on the company/agency network set up for this purpose.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I reached out to EF Johnson today, and they stated the following:
This is not their complete list, we are testing the VP8000’s on the state public safety system and confirmed through EF Johnson engineering that several bands are wideband capable without wideband entitlement license. These include the 2m 144-148 MHz, 70cm 430-450 MHz, GMRS frequencies, VHF Marine frequencies, NOAA Weather frequencies, and T-Band UHF from 470-520 MHz as well as 800 band from 851-869 MHz. This information will be added to their help files in Armada in a future update. In other words, unless you are FCC or outside of the USA, you do not need the wideband entitlement license.

wd8chl

I will find out if my toughbook (CF-30) will have the same issue. I have a 3551 36XM cable myself.
Just waiting on the radios to come in.

The 03551 cable will not work with the VP8000 without some mods, and they aren't that easy to do if you don't have some fairly serious surface mount gear. We're not bothering, cause it's not anywhere near worth the time to do it.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Have 03550 cable and can program with all my computers except toughbook. Another tech has problem with his computer. Computer sees the radio it just doesn’t get th response it wants to assign driver (which is installed).

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I am going to cross post the following comment I get from EFJI personally.
(bug list thread and this one)

EFJI states "Windows 7 is no longer a supported operating system."
If you are using windows 7 and Armada, there is a procedure to work with at USER RISK.
If you call Tech Support at EFJI, they will discuss this with the end user.

This, by way of the Tech Support Management.
I'm told not to publish the article, so i have to abide by the request.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Using win10 pro. Old cf31 i5 2.7mhz. I need to replace it because of weight. Was mounted in one of my vehicles where weight not an issue but now that I’m hauling around to program radios it’s just too much. Im more interested in being certain it will run on fairly new random computers I will be encountering Than just getting my cf-31 going.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Using win10 pro. Old cf31 i5 2.7mhz. I need to replace it because of weight. Was mounted in one of my vehicles where weight not an issue but now that I’m hauling around to program radios it’s just too much. Im more interested in being certain it will run on fairly new random computers I will be encountering Than just getting my cf-31 going.
I think you will be okay, as anything newer wise, will load fine win10 and up.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
I can copy in talk groups with options, aliases, failsoft frequency etc from excel (our master system spread sheet) which is great. I can’t do Anything with zones/channels using excel except the aliases. Will I have to type in all zone and channel data one at a time matching tg’s to aliases? I’ve got 60 zones already on TRS.