Army Natl Guard Freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyDave

I've been Listening below 30 Mhz for almoast a year now and have gotten a good share of HF-GCS and CAMSLANT, now I'm curious if there are any Army National Guard or regular US Army HF nets to listen to? Im located in Morris County NJ, so Im guessing that with my 11 MHz twinlead folded dipole, and 90 foot grove "sky wire", I will only be able to recieve NJ, PA, NY, and MD if that. My interest came about after climbing in the cockpit of a ANG Huey at Roxbury Highschool during a memorial day event, and seeing the 41.05 Mhz on one dial, and 21.XX on the other dial (this was 1998 when piccatiny was helo-active). Since then Ive seen a number of Humvees and Duece and 1/2s with what look like 20-50 MHz antennas. Im interested to see if there is much activity in this area for HF, or if it is all Federal Agencies and the other two services listed above.

The closest I've come is a list of "Nationwide Natl. Guard" freqs on the WUN site, two of them listed as "NJ and SD" but I havent heard any activity yet. With Piccatiny so close, I had expected something below 30 Mhz on one of these, perhaps from a state wide training drill, or a training exercise, but nothing.

Ive considered the SHARES system as well, but there are quite a few frequencies there and it takes me quite a while to listen to them individualy for activity.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I am not speaking for that frequency specifically. It is basically policy for Federal agencies to operate USB. I would be very suprised to hear LSB activity. AM i cannot speak to. But since you are listening for governement I would listen on the USB side. Double sideband AM you will still hear in USB so that helps. Just adding this in there FWIW

rinkerk

Mike,
There is alot of ALE activity on 16.339.
You have to have a program that decodes MIL-STD 188-141A.
ALE = Automatic Link Establiment.
You can google to find links to this free program.
Let me know how you do.
Regards,
K.R.

C

comsec1

Njng

Try 4.520 usb, nets are at 9:00 am local time fridays. I'm also from morris co.

HarleyDave

Thanks for the replies, I got the Icom R-75 bouncing between those two freqs right now. Ill let you know if i hear anything.

HarleyDave

I've been listening for two days and havent heard any activity on either of these two freqs, except a few bursts of ALE yesterday in 16.339 Have you guys been hearing any activity? Im hoping that tommarow being a weekend day there might be some training ect going on.

Just so you have an idea, I have both a 90 foot Grove "sky wire" which i believe is an OCFD strung horizontal 30 feet above the ground, and a 11 Mhz tuned folded dipole 40 feet above ground. The 90 footer is suposedly 50 ohms, and is fed into the coax lead of my IC-R75 and the 11 meg folded dipole is fed into the 300 ohm antenna jack using tv twinlead.

Perhaps I will get something once my 11 Mhz discone antenna is constructed (the disc will be 15 feet in diameter, and the skirt will have wires 22 feet long, I promise to write a seperate article on this before I banish myself to "off topic land"!

Status
Not open for further replies.