BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Arrives 7-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

clutchdisk

BCD436 will be here 7-9. I downloaded Sentinel software already, updated the data base, made a favorites list, and drop down menu edit to add channels on range. If I understand the 436 that the data base is installed on the scanner and that when hooked up to the computer it will want to install the sentinel software and data base to the computer. Is it possible not to install the software from the scanner but upload the already computer installed sentinel ? Secondly can the data base on the scanner be locked out (avoided) so that the complete data base does not get scanned. Not sure if I fully understood the "avoid" in the 436. Read that if you are scanning and want to avoid that system or group that if you (and I'm guessing) that there is no lock out button, but an avoid button on the scanner, that by pressing the avoid button one time that the system, group, or frequency will only avoided and will resume after shutting the scanner down and will start to scan what was avoided on the next turn on. Not sure about the avoid settings. On the bcd396 all I had to do was go to function, programs, lock or unlock what ever I wanted to hear. I have been reading on RR a lot about updating the firmware and that there seems to be problems in the updates. Would it be wise to leave the firmware most resent update alone ? Quick keys are going to be real interesting for me also. Never have used quick keys with the 396.

bama9999

BCD436 will be here 7-9. I downloaded Sentinel software already, updated the data base, made a favorites list, and drop down menu edit to add channels on range. If I understand the 436 that the data base is installed on the scanner and that when hooked up to the computer it will want to install the sentinel software and data base to the computer. Is it possible not to install the software from the scanner but upload the already computer installed sentinel ? Secondly can the data base on the scanner be locked out (avoided) so that the complete data base does not get scanned. Not sure if I fully understood the "avoid" in the 436. Read that if you are scanning and want to avoid that system or group that if you (and I'm guessing) that there is no lock out button, but an avoid button on the scanner, that by pressing the avoid button one time that the system, group, or frequency will only avoided and will resume after shutting the scanner down and will start to scan what was avoided on the next turn on. Not sure about the avoid settings. On the bcd396 all I had to do was go to function, programs, lock or unlock what ever I wanted to hear. I have been reading on RR a lot about updating the firmware and that there seems to be problems in the updates. Would it be wise to leave the firmware most resent update alone ? Quick keys are going to be real interesting for me also. Never have used quick keys with the 396.

Yes, when you connect your scanner to the computer you can upload the information from the Sentinel that is already on your computer. That's what I did with my 536, and did not load anything from the scanner itself to my computer, when I first unboxed it.

Also, yes the full database can be turned on or off easily, so you can scan either favorites lists, the full database, or a combination of both. You are correct on the use of the avoid button. Pressing it once temporarily locks out the channel/talkgroup, but pressing it again quickly will avoid it permanently or until you manually unavoid it. At least that's the way it works on the 536, the 436 may have a different sequence of key presses, but regardless it will do the same thing. The avoid button is basically a lockout button, but with the choice of it being temporary or permanent.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You would not use avoid. You would, in the scanner, do MENU --> Set Scan Selection --> Select Lists to Monitor and then make your selection.

Or, in Sentinel, set your Profile to not use the Main Database (start with the star with paper icon, then the Scan Selection tab.

clutchdisk

Thank you for the reply's. I opened sentinel and looked it can be checked or unchecked for monitor full data base. When the scanner arrives it probably make more sense. Seems way more complicated than the older 396's.
Is there a problem with the firmware update or should I leave the update alone ? Seems several 436 owners have reverted back to earlier firmware versions. And of course there are others that did upgrade the firmware and have had no problems. Just trying to cover some of the bases a little. Again thanx on the fast reply's.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You are right when you say getting the scanner in your hands will be helpful. You can experiment with adding/deleting and changing things just to fine tune the scanner to your listening preferences.

The full database is beneficial for those who are traveling or do not wish to go to the effort of creating their own favorites lists. While the full database is loaded in the scanner, only those "things" that are within range of your scanner are active. (You set your location with entering the applicable zip code and set the range value.) Also, you'll refine the list of "things" that you listen to by setting service types.

My scanning modus operandi is that I use Favoites Lists when I'm in my home area as well as for any travel destination and leave the full database off. When I'm between home and my travel destination, I turn on the full database.

While my scanner is connected to a GPS device telling my scanner where I am while traveling, you can also pretty much accomplish this manually by entering the zip code for your location. When doing the manual location entry while traveling, it would be good to use a large range so you don't need to change zip codes often. And for safety's sake, show your co-pilot how to change the zip code to avoid driver distraction.

Lastly, a point to emphasize. Be sure to confirm that Departments in your Favorites Lists have valid locations and ranges. Some times folks will create Favorites Lists from scratch and do not enter locations. Then, if they set location control on, they don't receive transmissions and can't figure out what is going wrong.

Most importantly, there is a learning curve. But its nothing you can't master with time and patience. If you have a grasp of the 396, you are off to a good start.

clutchdisk

Seems like a powerful scanner. Has a lot of bells and whistles. This is going to be very interesting. 436 will be here this afternoon. Then the fun begins. Thanks for the positive responses. In sentinel I tried the add channels in range and that was interesting. Put my zip code in at 50 miles, and it made a list in favorites. There was some redundancy in the favorites that I made for 28314 NC. The add channels within range also went up to VA and SC. Couple of hundred miles to VA and maybe 50 miles to SC. No complaints just found it to be interesting. Will be loading it up and let er' rip today. ( I hope on the rip part). Lastly should I go ahead and upgrade the firmware ? Or just see how it operates on the factory firmware out of the box ?

clutchdisk

Went to update the firmware using sentinel. Said already had the latest firmware version. Checked the firmware on the scanner it is 1.03.00..That's the way it shipped. Only updated the data base with some of my favorites. It's running that's about it. Hadn't got to do much yet. 20 minutes into it.

clutchdisk

BCD436hp here

Got the BCD436hp. Wow and interesting. Set up was easy. First thing I did was put fully recharged battery's in. Fired it up and was expecting to go to date and time. Nope went to time zones first. Easy set on that and the rest of the initial set up. Latest firmware was installed when it shipped here. Made a favorites list through sentinel. Not to impressed with sentinel. It's ok but limited in some areas. Guess I was spoiled by freescan 396t. Scanned very well. Very clear, no motor boating, so far haven't ran into the chirping freq's. Did the zip code entry to see what happens, pretty darned good. Did the find location worked very well also. Adjusted the back light to always on press on and of key for light. Don't care about the flashing backlight color scheme for different alerts and a few other bells and whistles that I don't use. As you can see from the above posts wasn't sure if I was going to go with it. Very glad I did. Sure is a very fine scanner. Battery life can't say how long it will last. Had it going for 6 or 7 hours no low battery alert came on. Set that also, 5 second alert and sound. Sharp scanner. I don't use the internal charging system in the scanner. Didn't use that on the 396. Easy to turn on and off data base and manage favorites. Like the idea that I don't have to continue to make and load favorites if I'm in another state or county like had to be done in the 396 - systems and groups. Good range. For me I feel like I went from a mule to a race horse. Still like my mule though.

WQPW689

Got the BCD536HP today. Just entered the zip code on the keypad and added a couple of services I wanted in Sentinel and the thing's happily been humming away all afternoon. Great reception, even with the stock antenna, although I guess I'll be looking at an aftermarket one.

The firmware was V 1.03.03 on the screen.

clutchdisk

Was a little leery at first to buy 436. Saw some initial posts about problems with both 436/536. can't say that I have seen any of them on the 436. Glad I went and bought it. Stock antenna and sd card. Updated firmware that was already installed. Very happy with it. I have an after market antenna, didn't seem to enhance the scanner. On the 396 it did a little. No mistake in buying the 436 for sure.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
I was leery at first as well. Actually chimed in with criticism without actually owning either, which was foolish as many here pointed out.

I Was able to find a 436 and 536 second hand for discounted pricing.

These are by far both excellent radios. If you simply go online here, to Youtube and other venues - ANYONE can be up and running, listening to their favorites in a matter of minutes.

My only criticism has been of the lousy battery - power design system in the 436.

Am I happy about the 536 SIREN App and other issues? No. I could have done without them anyway with the chance at a 536 selling in the $500 range like the 436. Actually, if this lower priced option existed, I would probably buy another 536.

None of the above complaints, however, should prevent anyone from buying one or both! Truly state of the art and kudos to Uniden, Paul, and his team.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The main difference between using the main database and making a favorites list is that the main database is updated weekly. Any services you listen to from the main database will be automatically updated with new frequencies when you update the database in Sentinel.

If you copy stuff from the database to a favorites list, the favorites list is not automatically updated when the database changes. OTOH, it is easier to trim a favorites list so you're only listening to stuff you want to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.