ARRL 10 meter contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else get out and make some contacts?

I got a few more states and The Dominican Republic. Could hear Guatemala, but didn't have the umph to get back to him..

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I've been an Extra since the early 90s, and to this day I still believe the most enjoyable band is 10 meters, which is great since everyone has 10 meter privileges and equipment is cheap.

I wish I had something up to participate. When i see signs of significant increase in activity on 10 m with the new cycle I'll have something up.

Hope a lot of you guys got to make some good contacts!

Mike

k9rzz

Some one should have brought this up before it began!

Still a few hours left, hearing some west coast and some locals on CW 28.013.

Heads up: 160 contest coming up yet.

n8emr

160 contest was last weekend.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber

I only knew about it from the ARRL newsletter in my email every Friday.

I think it's funny they tout it as:
* + ARRL 10 Meter Contest Means HF Fun for Technicians, Too!
And everyone I worked was a General or Extra... It was fun, and I agree, 10 can be a ton of fun.. I had openings east, west, and south.. Just had to be patient..

Ahhh well, time to go upload my new contacts to LOTW....

EasyRadio

Nice band opening on Sunday. Worked a few from the shack, then worked a few more from the mobile (25 watts) while driving around - had the XYL logging 'em on a scratchpad!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Give it a few years and there will be more JAs buzzing you than Pear Harbor. The last peak was great, the first time I found out what it's like to be on the bottom of a pile up.

WA1CRZ

Give it a few years and there will be more JAs buzzing you than Pear Harbor. The last peak was great, the first time I found out what it's like to be on the bottom of a pile up.

Did you convince them Pt Pleasant was a new country or are you trying to say in the past you were a big gun? :)

kb2vxa

Banned
No, I was in West Creek at the time and when the band opens worldwide from sunrise to well close to midnight even QRP stomps Tokyo like Godzilla. On the other hand Pointedly Unpleasant is IOTA NA-111 and then there are the county hunters if that means anything.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
No, I was in West Creek at the time and when the band opens worldwide from sunrise to well close to midnight even QRP stomps Tokyo like Godzilla. On the other hand Pointedly Unpleasant is IOTA NA-111 and then there are the county hunters if that means anything.
Don't forget the 10-10 hunters.. I've had some treat me like a CB'er because I said I didn't have a 10-10 number....

My younger kids (9 and 11) got on for a while. It is the only part of the band they get to operate on "dad's radio" as a Technician without me or their older siblings around. They each ended up with about 10 contacts. It was great for them. I'm surprised that the band was open enough to hear Texas and Florida stations with my 6BTV vertical.

They're all looking forward to sending out QSL cards now.

The older two and I will probably do Straight Key Night... all I have to do is find a straight key (or make one) first.

kb2vxa

Banned
"I've had some treat me like a CB'er because I said I didn't have a 10-10 number."

LOL! Look it up in the APCO 10 code used by CBers and you'll see what's so funny. Then tell them "10-10" and smile.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
My younger kids (9 and 11) got on for a while. It is the only part of the band they get to operate on "dad's radio" as a Technician without me or their older siblings around. They each ended up with about 10 contacts. It was great for them. I'm surprised that the band was open enough to hear Texas and Florida stations with my 6BTV vertical.

They're all looking forward to sending out QSL cards now.

The older two and I will probably do Straight Key Night... all I have to do is find a straight key (or make one) first.
I have a spare straight I'd sell ya for the price of shipping.. If it gets kids interested in radio, I'm all for it!

kb2vxa said:
LOL! Look it up in the APCO 10 code used by CBers and you'll see what's so funny. Then tell them "10-10" and smile.

Yea, I know what 10-10 means in CB speak.. Was in 11 meters long before I got my ticket...I just consider the source..

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
I had a very very day that day but from SC i jumped in for about 30 minutes and had about 8 contacts, most in the mid west, 1 in Quebec and one in the Dominican republic

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Should be full tilt this year.. If I get my HF antenna up, if even temporary, I will be on..if not, I'll have to play in the mobile..

Conditions are looking good for this weekend. I'll be using an old 10/11 meter antenna, it's way better than my 10-80 meter vertical. Way too wide.

Good luck, have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.