n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I'll be operating from the Big Thunder Amateur Radio Club site. WA9GWM

I'll be the PSK31 op on 20 and maybe 40 if 20 goes flat.:D

Anyone else?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Don't remind me. I could kick myself in the ass for loaning out my only HF radio a few months back. I'm really jonesing to work Field Day (I rarely get on anymore except for FD and an occasional QSO party / small contest). It's been so nice and i've really wanted to try my hand at working field day mobile.

For those who haven't, or are just thinking about it, I'd recommend operating in Field Day if you are a ham though. It's really a blast. Depending on who you participate in FD with, it can get kind of weird... there's some really odd hams out there. But you could luck out and find local club who is operating field day at a state park where you could participate in all sorts of activities, interspersed with some actual operating here and there... cookouts, etc. Of course, no booze at the ole state park.

Then again, it's also fun to just operate FD by yourself.... doesn't take much. Everybody and anybody is on the air for field day. You could load up a paper clip and talk to _somebody_ on HF.

Mike

C

comsec1

too hot

The best thing the ARRL could do is to make the weekend for field day during a more hospitible time of the year. The middle of the summer is just too hot and humid to go camping, too many bugs and not comfortable outside. My suggestion would be late september or october, weather is much more stable throughout the country and alot more comfortable camping outside. other then that its still fun and its a good time to do all your outdoor antenna maintanence. I'll be set up in my garage.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I am ready, just gonna grab my rig and head to the park, where my club W8ZPF will be operating from.

Bummer.... if I were any closer (as if 2.5 hours isnt close enough) I'd head out. None of the local clubs do anything now. Participation fell off a long time ago. Just a bunch of old coots drag out boat anchors or glorified "emergency trailers" that they man themselves... no useful activity around here.r

Have fun... I'm sure you will. I'll fire up my R-75 and listen to everyone rofl.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The best thing the ARRL could do is to make the weekend for field day during a more hospitible time of the year. The middle of the summer is just too hot and humid to go camping, too many bugs and not comfortable outside. My suggestion would be late september or october, weather is much more stable throughout the country and alot more comfortable camping outside. other then that its still fun and its a good time to do all your outdoor antenna maintanence. I'll be set up in my garage.

I totally agree. Being the proverbial "fat man", this just isnt' my weather. 70s or less, and low humidity is what I need.

Mike

jon_k

I'm a new HAM. I've got no privileges on HF -- can anyone reference relevance of this to me? I told my friend who introduced me to scanning/amateur radio that there's really no point since I can't operate and have no HF gear. He said that it'll be lots of fun and I can have another station let me get on HF with his call.

It seems this is mostly for the contesting types who rush rush rush to get as many callsigns in a book/binder. I've got no need to try and hit every continent or something.

I think that with such activity there will be huge pileups and you'll be lucky if you can say "N5AMD THANKS FOR ACKNOWLEDGING ME 73.. Your signal is 5-9... 73 this is N5IPT bye!" I fear this is what the bands will be mostly like though. Just throwing a call, getting acknowledged, saying 73 and moving on so you can contest contest contest.

What else is there to do though for a tech license class? Just an excuse to meet your local hams and listen to the air? I'll probably be there - but I'd like to be as excited as a Hamfest but it doesn't seem /as/ fun to just contact 50 people in a day as it does seeing vendors. I will be working 12 hour shifts Saturday and Sunday. I'm thinking of stopping by during field day to one of our ARC's after work Saturday night.

I think contesting would make things more interesting since a day you can make 100 contacts is a day you can win grand prize in the contest -- but I've never contested.

Last edited:

Fast1eddie

What a joke. What was orignally intended as a puesdo emergency communications exercise to provide relevant field operating experience is nothing more than a excuse for a keg party. When the crapola hits the fan (again-and it will) very few will be able to figure things out. Ops are more concerned with scores. Another reason why I lost intrest in the hobby.

Ed N3kex

SlGlNT

Don't remind me. I could kick myself in the ass for loaning out my only HF radio a few months back. I'm really jonesing to work Field Day (I rarely get on anymore except for FD and an occasional QSO party / small contest). It's been so nice and i've really wanted to try my hand at working field day mobile.

For those who haven't, or are just thinking about it, I'd recommend operating in Field Day if you are a ham though. It's really a blast. Depending on who you participate in FD with, it can get kind of weird... there's some really odd hams out there. But you could luck out and find local club who is operating field day at a state park where you could participate in all sorts of activities, interspersed with some actual operating here and there... cookouts, etc. Of course, no booze at the ole state park.

Then again, it's also fun to just operate FD by yourself.... doesn't take much. Everybody and anybody is on the air for field day. You could load up a paper clip and talk to _somebody_ on HF.

Mike

I agree. Follow the link below to find a Field Day Station near you. Even if your not a HAM it's a great way to get info and see what it's like.

http://www.arrl.org/contests/announcements/fd/locator.php

Yokoshibu

I am so tempted to drop 3k on a tentec omni or flex 5000 but want to go check out the other options first.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I plan on being at the field day location. My Location is Park Hills, MO and the location of the field is one of the local Mc Donalds in Farmington. The one off of Hwy 221 (old Hwy W).

Look forward to working some of you.

Take care.

dkostrey

I'm a new HAM. I've got no privileges on HF -- can anyone reference relevance of this to me? I told my friend who introduced me to scanning/amateur radio that there's really no point since I can't operate and have no HF gear. He said that it'll be lots of fun and I can have another station let me get on HF with his call.

It seems this is mostly for the contesting types who rush rush rush to get as many callsigns in a book/binder. I've got no need to try and hit every continent or something.

I think that with such activity there will be huge pileups and you'll be lucky if you can say "N5AMD THANKS FOR ACKNOWLEDGING ME 73.. Your signal is 5-9... 73 this is N5IPT bye!" I fear this is what the bands will be mostly like though. Just throwing a call, getting acknowledged, saying 73 and moving on so you can contest contest contest.

What else is there to do though for a tech license class? Just an excuse to meet your local hams and listen to the air? I'll probably be there - but I'd like to be as excited as a Hamfest but it doesn't seem /as/ fun to just contact 50 people in a day as it does seeing vendors. I will be working 12 hour shifts Saturday and Sunday. I'm thinking of stopping by during field day to one of our ARC's after work Saturday night.

I think contesting would make things more interesting since a day you can make 100 contacts is a day you can win grand prize in the contest -- but I've never contested.

Yes, during Field Day, even an unlicensed person may operate (HF or anywhere) under the callsign of the sponsoring group. Different groups give Field Day different meaning. Some use it to contest big time, others just use it as a picnic. Our group puts points secondary. We basically concentrate on setting up portable and trying things out that normally we don't have a chance to. Just go and have fun!

jon_k

Our group puts points secondary. We basically concentrate on setting up portable and trying things out that normally we don't have a chance to. Just go and have fun!

Now this sounds more like what I joined amateur radio for. Not for stupid points and 5 second contest QSO's! Just to say "I worked 200 stations!"

Hopefully the city club here will be like your group. If they're the alpha contesting type of crowd, I can always go to one of the other 10-15 field day meetups within driving distance next year! Plenty of clubs to choose from. I've been to one club meeting for my city and they seem like really cool folks. Hopefully they won't be contest craved competitive crazies.

DSTAR will also be having a field day -- though it seems like more of a way for ICOM to push their warez and get the word out about it. You get like 100 points for getting DSTAR in the media. Another 100 if you do presentations to a club leader. Yep, sounds like marketing to me. (I'm thinking of getting DSTAR when the repeaters come in. The grant money has been approved, but nothing yet. It'd be neat to see if DSTAR has activity. Nobody I know uses it though. It would be amazing to get P2P ethernet going with that one rig though!)

Last edited:

scansomd

Some sugar (or splenda for the diabetics among us) will make those sour grapes taste a lot better.

What a joke. What was orignally intended as a puesdo emergency communications exercise to provide relevant field operating experience is nothing more than a excuse for a keg party. When the crapola hits the fan (again-and it will) very few will be able to figure things out. Ops are more concerned with scores. Another reason why I lost intrest in the hobby.

Ed N3kex

n8emr

Bummer.... if I were any closer (as if 2.5 hours isnt close enough) I'd head out. None of the local clubs do anything now.
Mike

There are clubs closer than 2.5hrs to you . Canton area has several.

n8emr

You may have no HF privileges but that doesnt mean you cant get on HF at field day. While part of field day is a contest, Part is social, Part is public relations and part is emergency communications. A proper field days should have a little bit of each.

n8emr

Ed N3kex

YOu need to find a new group to hand out with. What field day is will vary by group. You get a lot of contesters in a group and its a FD is a contest, you get ARES group doing it and its an emergency comm exercise. For some its social and if someone operates a radio oh well. I have been to each and you just need to pick the one that fits your interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.