ARRL License- wait till next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwiscan

I was interested in getting my basic license, but I am unclear on the pool of questions. I was going to pick up ARRL study guide (red cover book)... should I wait until the new one comes out?

K9WG

Go for it now. Even if the question pool changes most of the theory and practice will be the same. The last time the question pool changed was July 2010 so it probably won't change soon.

OCO

It's just a minor point, but it's still an FCC license, not ARRL. The ARRL administers the tests and helps you get it, but it's still issued from the Feds..

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
The Gordon West ham radio technician class study book is really good.Like the person above me said,the ARRL gives the test,and the FCC issues you the license.

Gordon West Technician Class GWTM

Last edited:

KJ4FEL

Premium Subscriber
There is no reason for you to wait.

The current Technician class question pool is effective from July1, 2010 until June 30, 2014.

LtDoc

If you think you're ready to take the test, then take it! Besides the ARRL/W5YI/Bash study guides, the on-line practice tests are also very useful (QRZ.com, for instance). Combining the on-line tests and the study guides is certainly worthwhile, gives you some indication of where you 'stand'.
Considering the time of the year, if you waited till next year the wait isn't going to be very long. But, if you take the test(s) tomorrow, you'd have that license before next year.
Do it!
- 'Doc

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
I agree. Go ahead and take the test. It will be a great Christmas present to yourself if you pass.

kc5fm

Premium Subscriber
ARRL Study Guide

I was interested in getting my basic license, but I am unclear on the pool of questions. I was going to pick up ARRL study guide (red cover book)... should I wait until the new one comes out?

ARRL :: Licensing, Education & Training has the most current books.

Includes the latest question pool with answer key, for use July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2014 ... and there's a Kindle version for you to get right away.

N5TWB

If you think you're ready to take the test, then take it! Besides the ARRL/W5YI/Bash study guides, the on-line practice tests are also very useful (QRZ.com, for instance). Combining the on-line tests and the study guides is certainly worthwhile, gives you some indication of where you 'stand'.
Considering the time of the year, if you waited till next year the wait isn't going to be very long. But, if you take the test(s) tomorrow, you'd have that license before next year.
Do it!
- 'Doc

The book study, combined with taking the online practice tests are the way to go. When you can pass the online tests multiple times with a cushion for possible test session anxiety, get out your $15 and get to a test session. I am using the WB6NOA book and software for the Extra with a plan to test in January. I also have some basic electrical/electronic books to get a better understanding of how to use Ohm's law along with various terms.

Bash study guides????? Haven't heard of those for years...

Status
Not open for further replies.