ARRL Simulated Emergency Test (SET)-October 6 – 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipfd320

Banned
The 2018 ARRL Simulated Emergency Test (SET) is tomorrow.

The primary ARRL-sponsored national emergency exercise is designed to assess the skills and preparedness of Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES®) volunteers, as well as those affiliated with other organizations involved with emergency and disaster response.

Although the main SET weekend this year is October 6 – 7, local and Section-wide exercises may take place throughout the fall.

Those who already take part in public service and emergency activities are getting ready for the annual SET, a dress rehearsal, next month.

But, the 2018 ARRL SET is an open casting call for all radio amateurs interested in expanding their emergency preparedness knowledge and skill.

More can be Found on the ARRL Website Posted Below

Emergency Preparedness Takes Center Stage for 2018 Simulated Emergency Test

needairtime

I was listening in on the ARES test over the weekend...

Oh boy, talk about canned... not sure if it really was "helpful" as an exercise except *maybe* for net control perhaps.

I was tempted to add in problems (like look at the "fake" route the guys are "driving" and report a "fake" accident, "fake" downed tree, etc. to see how net control would react. Now that would actually be helping preparedness (note that they would clearly be marked as an ARES exercise and not a real accident or something, just to note that the commute would be impacted)? There also were so few participants so I'm not sure if there would have been any change in plans if a "fake" exception occurs during the exercise whereas perhaps in a real world situation net control could get someone else who's not impacted or redirect the person around the problem area..

I'm not actually registered for ARES so if I said those things to help them, it'd be illegal interference, so I dared not. Oh well.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm not actually registered for ARES so if I said those things to help them, it'd be illegal interference...
Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

ARES does not own the airwaves. Unless the Net Control asked that all non-SET activity stand by, I don't see how your transmissions would be "illegal interference". Of course, Net Control might not appreciate you injecting a scenario that wasn't part of their script. A good Net Control will know how to deal with that.

needairtime

Well I would be technically interfering with them, because I would be using it to "mess them up" from their script.

But to classify it as "malicious interference"? - yes, agreed, there was no intent to be malicious, the intent was actually beneficial to help them actually be prepared for problems they didn't foresee...

Status
Not open for further replies.