Arrow Antenna J-Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodstock

I recently got my ham license(tech) and I'm trying to figure out the best solution for an antenna. I'm kind of limited with my options so I was thinking about getting one of the dual band Arrow J-poles and sticking it in my attic. My first question is whether it is ok for me to take off the mounting bracket it comes with and screw the antenna onto the wall. Would this have any negative effects? Also, I have quite a bit of the small rg-8(slightly bigger than rg-58) coax and I was wondering how much loss I would have on 440 with about a 30 ft run. Is the small rg-8 ok for a short run, or would I be better off getting some thicker rg-8?

If anyone has a better idea, I'm open for suggestions. Thanks for any help.

gcgrotz

You would be fine with the small rg8 aka rg8x, unless it is from Radio Shack. In that case replace it. 30ft of that stuff won't be a problem. Try the wireman or cable x-perts for good quality cable.

As for the bracket on the arrow - not that familiar with it but if it's only purpose is to mount to a pipe it is probably ok. If the antenna elements themselves are mounted to it then NO.

K2AFY

That was my first antenna still have it use it as an emcomm antenna now. I mounted mine in my old house attic using a pipe flange and a short nipple. You can remove the pipe mount and mount it to a joist etc with no ill effects in the attic. again I was very happy with the antenna great quality, and had very good swr across all freq. within 2m and 70 cm.
enjoy the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.