ARTCC Frequency Question

BC2001

Jesse

I live in Southeastern Kentucky and listen to Indianapolis ARTCC almost daily.

Ive noticed that I usually only hear traffic on the VHF frequencies listed on the link above. I very rarely hear air traffic on the UHF channels listed.

Are the VHF channels used almost exclusively or am I just not picking up the UHF channels?

Thanks in advance for the help!

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber

I live in Southeastern Kentucky and listen to Indianapolis ARTCC almost daily.

Ive noticed that I usually only hear traffic on the VHF frequencies listed on the link above. I very rarely hear air traffic on the UHF channels listed.

Are the VHF channels used almost exclusively or am I just not picking up the UHF channels?

Thanks in advance for the help!
I do volunteer work for the FAA in the ZNY area for rfi issues. Most ARTCC sites simulkey VHF/UHF; so if you are hearing the controller on VHF and not on the UHF paired freq, you probably aren't hearing the controller on UHF. Next time you hear the controller on VHF, listen on the UHF paired freq with the sqelch open to see if you can hear a weaker signal.

jaymatt1978

I do volunteer work for the FAA in the ZNY area for rfi issues. Most ARTCC sites simulkey VHF/UHF; so if you are hearing the controller on VHF and not on the UHF paired freq, you probably aren't hearing the controller on UHF. Next time you hear the controller on VHF, listen on the UHF paired freq with the sqelch open to see if you can hear a weaker signal.
One thing I should add is you need to be very close to the site to hear the controller. I remember being at the millville racetrack to= watch my brother and the RCAG site is right at the Millville Airport. The controller almost ALWAYS transmits on BOTH the VHF and UHF sides. Then the civilian use the VHF and the military uses both VHF and UHf

BC2001

Jesse
Thanks everyone for the answers.

Im not very experienced in aviation listening. But, I believe I am not hearing the controllers. I just hear what I assume is the pilots advising their flight level, identification info, etc.

So, I guess that explains it then?

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Understand also that the ground transmissions are focussed upward to the sky rather than across the terrain like Fire, PD EMS all are. Think of it as an ice cream, cone standing up on its point. If you are not within that transmission area, you won't hear them. I used to live 20 miles north of O'hare and could hear Approach/departure etc fairly well with a discone antenna up ant 15 feet. I moved to miles further away and I cannot hear them anymore.

nd5y

Understand also that the ground transmissions are focussed upward to the sky rather than across the terrain like Fire, PD EMS all are.
No they are not. The FAA mostly uses vertical dipoles now.
The reason aviation ground stations often can't be heard far is because most of the antennas are on short towers, rooftops or on top of control towers and most of the ARTCC RCAGs are in remote areas.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
You can hear airplanes for a long way, but have to be fairly close to hear ground stations. And, as stated above, ground stations transmit on both VHF and UHF, but the aircraft will only transmit on one or the other.

A similar situation can occur at puddlejumper airports that don't have a tower or FSS, but do have a freq for 'clearance delivery.' In my area, there are two such airports, and that 'clearance delivery' freq is actually a simulcast of TRACON for that area. So if you're hearing TRACON type transmissions on those freqs, you won't hear the aircraft involved--you have to monitor the actual TRACON freqs to hear the aircraft itself.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
No they are not. The FAA mostly uses vertical dipoles now.
The reason aviation ground stations often can't be heard far is because most of the antennas are on short towers, rooftops or on top of control towers and most of the ARTCC RCAGs are in remote areas.
That is correct, plus they usually are low powered.

MiCon

Mike
BC2001, there are two situations you might need to be aware of:
One is that many ARTCC frequencies have more than one remote transmitter to cover a large area. Thus, sometimes you can hear the controller, and sometimes you can't, depending on which transmitter he/ she is using for the area that he/ she needs to reach.
The second is that they often simulcast on different frequencies because that controller is handling more than one area. So if you're hearing the controller but not the pilot, you're probably listening to a simulcast frequency of the one he's talking to the pilot on.