ARTCC RCAG Frequency Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowaves

Hi Group,

I've been monitoring my local KC Center RCAG (125.200 and 269.400) for the last several months. I monitor both freqs, but the only one I hear Center on is 269.400 (antenna designed for that freq), pick up air traffic on 125.200.

Just recently I noticed that I'm not hearing Center on the 269.400, still hearing air traffic on 125.200, so they are still using that freq.

Any ideas as to why I would all the sudden loss comm on the 269.400, do they change frequencies often I wonder?

I know the antenna and scanner are still good, I'm hearing the GC ATC on 254.400 as normal, just like the 269.400 transmitter is off.

Thanks,
Chad
N0YK

DPD1

They can turn them off if they prefer. If pilots are going to be on station for a long period of time, sometimes they will actually request they turn off the simulcast so it doesn't bug them. It may just be that.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

radiowaves

Ok.

But wouldn't the military traffic in the area prefer to use the 269.400, rather then the 125.200?

When signals are enhanced a little, I do hear KC Center still talking on 125.200.

Interesting, wish I had a contact that worked with their eqipment.

Thanks

DPD1

If they used UHF, they may not want to hear the VHF simulcast while in the area for a prolonged time. So they can ask them to turn the transmit off so they don't hear it. But the point is, they can turn it off if they want.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

radiowaves

Kind of odd this morning, I was hearing KC Center on 269.400, loud and clear. Made me think maybe they had transmitter trouble and had it back on the air. Now about an hour or so later, it's gone with no traffic, very interesting.

Yokoshibu

But wouldn't the military traffic in the area prefer to use the 269.400, rather then the 125.200?

Depends on the Jet... some jets have limited #'s of radio's, Most guys flying heavy's like to be on Victor with everyone else to keep the SA high!

radiowaves

Depends on the Jet... some jets have limited #'s of radio's, Most guys flying heavy's like to be on Victor with everyone else to keep the SA high!

I've heard them on both also.

What does 'be on Victor and keep the SA high mean?

cipher66

ARTCC DB Manager
Database Admin
Hi Group,

I've been monitoring my local KC Center RCAG (125.200 and 269.400) for the last several months. I monitor both freqs, but the only one I hear Center on is 269.400 (antenna designed for that freq), pick up air traffic on 125.200.

Just recently I noticed that I'm not hearing Center on the 269.400, still hearing air traffic on 125.200, so they are still using that freq.

Any ideas as to why I would all the sudden loss comm on the 269.400, do they change frequencies often I wonder?

I know the antenna and scanner are still good, I'm hearing the GC ATC on 254.400 as normal, just like the 269.400 transmitter is off.

Thanks,
Chad
N0YK

Hi Chad,

I did some research with ZKC today about your situation, and apparently 125.2 is one of five VHF frequencies for their Sector 68 GCK-Lo. The others are: 124.4, 126.95, 134.0, and 118.8. While 125.2 is paired with 269.4, the controllers can call up any number of VHF/UHF combos for that sector because of the size of the sector and amount of RCAG sites available for that sector. For some reason, they said they normally keep all UHF frequencies tied to key on transmit, but normally limit the VHF to one or two of their more reliable freqs (apparently they like 134.0 and 126.95 for right now). Please see the map included in the ZKC section of Radioreference.com for more information on Sector 68.

Hope that helps explain the situation out in the West End of K.C. Center!

EDIT: Got it backwards.... They normally transmit on all VHF and only pick the "reliable" UHF.... 290.8 and 379.2 Sorry!

K4DHR

...and "Uniform" is UHF. Sometimes a controller will ask "do you have uniform?"

He's asking if he/she has ATIS Uniform, not if they have a UHF radio. Only the military runs UHF in the US.

After a ATC TRACON tour this past weekend, they can very quickly switch between VHF and UHF as required. At the facility I toured, they have a touch screen pad next to every controller's station that has all of the VHF and UHF frequencies assigned to that facility listed. They can bring up any one they want and choose which ones they want to transmit and receive on just by touching one of the soft buttons. Interestingly enough, they can actually choose to listen in on one frequency and transmit on another should the occasion call for it, but I doubt this is actually done in practice. Or they can talk on the tower or ground frequency from down in the radar room (this is a co-located facility) if the situation arises. They can do the same thing up in the tower, except their ability to manipulate flight data is more limited upstairs.

They only used UHF when they were handling military flights and only then if the aircraft was unable to communicate on VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.