Article About Pasadena PD's Switch To Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPD1

Yeah, as of now, they're still in the clear. I detect some crappy digital audio on some radios though, so I don't know if they're simulcasting, or just using analog mode somehow, or what. I suspected something was up when I heard some encryption on their channels during some big events the last couple years. But I didn't think they'd ever go 100%.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have read all of these posts and I think within the next 5 to 10 years the companies like Uniden and GRE will be out of business when it comes to building these high tech scanners. Whats the point on building scanners when you won't be able to listen to anything except public works, the water department and school buses Boring.... As I look thru the database on RR I keep seeing more and more cities and counties switching to digital and encrypting their signals. Its kind of strange that the LAPD is still P25 Digital and all of their channels are in the clear. But one day when the LAPD has some extra budget money and they upgrade their communication system and center they will encrypt too. The City of Los Angeles just does not have any money right now.

Eventually all of the small cities will be converted over to digital trunking systems and they will all be encrypted and this will be the end of the hobby for alot of us.

Its just the sign of the times and as technology evolves and things get more secure in the communication world we will be done. I will just enjoy what is still out there. But every agency is following suit to other cities and counties.

Status
Not open for further replies.