Article About Pasadena PD's Switch To Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

"With the advent of iPhones and other devices, you can use an (application) to figure out where the police are at any given time," he said.

another one for the streaming is not contributing to encryption crowd. :roll:

DPD1

I would like to ask Sanchez why he seems to think every small town he works in, desperately need to keep everything they do secret... when the majority of the larger cities around him that have ten times more crime, don't.

icis_monitor

i think that shawn west hit the nail on the head by telling everyone that ''people listening to scanners arent committing that many crimes'' which is what they are trying to stop having people help committing crimes using a scanner to avoid from being caught by the police. as for them making it so we cant listen to the garbagemen, that makes me lol!!!

DPD1

And who decides what the public needs to know?

Phillip does, of course.

Here's the Mayor's info, if you feel like expressing your opinion on the subject. If you do though, just keep it rational, intelligent, and respectful.

Mayor
Bill Bogaard

100 N. Garfield Avenue, Room S228
P.O. Box 7115
Pasadena, CA 91109-7215

bbogaard@cityofpasadena.net

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2G-38) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

DPD1 said:
I would like to ask Sanchez why he seems to think every small town he works in, desperately need to keep everything they do secret... when the majority of the larger cities around him that have ten times more crime, don't.

Agreed! LAPD doesn't encrypt however you think that they would need it the most. If a town like San Marino encrypts I'll laugh my *** off.

Last edited:

DPD1

Well, I got a response from the Mayor's assistant. Pretty much what I expected... A polite blow-off. But I would urge others to do the same. I basically tried to explain how rare it is for a department to encrypt all channels, and just listed the positives of not doing so. My guess is that the majority of their government probably has no clue and just assumes this is the way things are done. I know for a fact that LASD air unit members and also CHP, can and do monitor other department's DS on scanners, to keep tabs on what's going on. Completely locking out the majority of other officers and departments around you doesn't seem to be a move towards 'improved mutual aid' to me.

I think it's important to convey that this isn't just a bunch of cop groupies whining... That there really is logical and good reasons not to do this. I believe that is true. I will probably contact the local paper as well.

donny612

I fear that many law enforcement agencies will go the encryption route in the coming years. Not sure why exactly. Anything sensitive can already be put on an encryped or private channel. Most departments that are already digital have at least one scrambled channel. Why keep the routine traffic a deep dark secret?? Orange County, CA did this years ago.
Going digital was a big enough setback until someone comes out with an inexpensive digital scanner...

Last edited:

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Blaming scanner apps is just an easy out to go encryption. So far, Washington DC and Pasadena PD are the only 2 that have openly blamed scanner apps for the reason to go encrypted. Neither departments provided clear statistics that it was creating an Officer Safety issue. If i'm a criminal, i'm not depending on a scanner app as a tool. If I was a perp doing a burglary or robbery, i'm getting in and out as quick as possible. 99% of suspects are gone by time PD arrives anyways.

RR admins or someone needs to come up with a plan on how scanner apps can benefit the community and police in emergency situations when the public is at danger. Maybe at a national police chiefs association or something similar to that. Scanner apps are getting a bad rap nowadays, need to get some good info out on them.

Jason

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Blaming scanner apps is just an easy out to go encryption.....

SO TRUE!!

RR admins or someone needs to come up with a plan on how scanner apps can benefit the community and police in emergency situations when the public is at danger. Maybe at a national police chiefs association or something similar to that. Scanner apps are getting a bad rap nowadays, need to get some good info out on them.

I only wish the good things people with scanners, and scanner apps, have done were reported.

Without leaving my couch I was able to "assist" the police in catching 3 young men who had hours before tied up, brutally beat, and robbed a handicapped man. (I had never seen so many police cars show up to a call)

DPD1

SO TRUE!!

I only wish the good things people with scanners, and scanner apps, have done were reported.

Without leaving my couch I was able to "assist" the police in catching 3 young men who had hours before tied up, brutally beat, and robbed a handicapped man. (I had never seen so many police cars show up to a call)

It's stories like yours that they need to hear. Please email that to the Pas mayor's office listed abopve and their local paper. And the PD directly, if you can find a good contact. The more people that speak up, the better.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I did end up sending a nice, professionally written, letter to the Mayors office with my story. I'll let you guys know how I'm politely blown off on Mon. or Tue. (Sorry, as I've grown older I have less and less faith in elected officials.)

I only wish the decision makers realized the truth...

A lot of us in this "community" are public servants. (PD/FD/Etc.)
Even more of us have, or had, relatives who worked for one of those agencies.
Of the rest of us, NO group of people have a higher regard for members of those agencies.
99.9% of us aren't stupid enough to get in their way, even if we heard some "cool" call.
We have a much lower percentage of members with a criminal history than the general public.

I could keep going, but that would just be overkill.

I do know if I didn't have this hobby, I wouldn't have donated (let's just say a lot of money) to the families of fallen officers.

DPD1

Well, thanks for your efforts. We probably shouldn't hold our breath, but at least we tried.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
"but at least we tried."

That's all we can do, sir. But, I'd rather fight the good fight and lose, than not fight at all.

Sadly, I fear we will have a "I told you so" moment when an officer loses his/her life due to neighboring agencies not being able to hear his/her pleas for help, and an officer has to come from farther away.

Status
Not open for further replies.