Article in QST on CCR's and compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The QST article was published in the November 2015 issue which was in members' mailboxes in mid-October.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Switzerland baned chicom....

OFCOM - BAOFENG UV-5R

Actually several models, Even a Midland GMRS radio.
OFCOM - Mobile two-way radio

But if you look at this, there is lots of banned equipment. While it might be due to spectral purity issues, I'd guess it just as likely it's due to either preprogrammed channels, or frequency agility of frequencies that are not legal for the purpose in Switzerland.
OFCOM - Non-compliant equipment

My guess, they probably announce a ban on equipment when they become aware of it causing an issue or upon a customs seizure.

FKimble

While at Orlando recently, I noticed the ARRL had a booth setup to test HT's. So next trip around, I took my recently aquired $20.00 Yaesu FT-250 since it looked a little the worse for wear. The fellow in front of me had 2 Baofengs. After testing them, the owner was told they were out of spec with spurious emissions and not legal to use on ham freqs. As the owner walked away, he keyed up one of them and started talking to someone. The examiner asked me it I understood about spurious emissions. My old FT-250 tested clean as a whistle.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
While at Orlando recently, I noticed the ARRL had a booth setup to test HT's. So next trip around, I took my recently aquired $20.00 Yaesu FT-250 since it looked a little the worse for wear. The fellow in front of me had 2 Baofengs. After testing them, the owner was told they were out of spec with spurious emissions and not legal to use on ham freqs. As the owner walked away, he keyed up one of them and started talking to someone. The examiner asked me it I understood about spurious emissions. My old FT-250 tested clean as a whistle.

And doesn't this tell us a whole bunch about the state of amateur radio in the US these days?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I recently bought a MD-390 but haven't done much with it yet. I guess now it will just become another scanner. Thanks to all for sharing insight on this stuff. :roll: 73, n9zas

N4KVE

After testing them, the owner was told they were out of spec with spurious emissions and not legal to use on ham freqs. As the owner walked away, he keyed up one of them and started talking to someone.
Did you really expect the owner of these $18 devices [I won't even call them radios] to heed the warning & to stop generating spurious emissions? Surely not.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Did you really expect the owner of these $18 devices [I won't even call them radios] to heed the warning & to stop generating spurious emissions? Surely not.
IF they are licensed, then YES! That toy radio is not worth the fine for spurious emissions! What would you do? 73, n9zas

N4KVE

IF they are licensed, then YES! That toy radio is not worth the fine for spurious emissions! What would you do? 73, n9zas
First of all, I would NEVER own a CCR, but if I was at a ham fest, & tested my XTS5000, & was told it was radiating spurious emissions, I would bring it to one of my friends whose in the 2-way business, & have it aligned. But after being told it was defective, I'd go to my car & grab a spare XTS3000 to use for the rest of the day. I always go to the Orlando ham fest with spare radios.

TheSpaceMann

Unfortunately, some people just don't seem to give a darn. This reminds me of one time I went to pay a traffic ticket. The "gent" in front of me went up before the judge. The judge said... "Mr. ____, you are charged with driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle. without a license. How do you plead? "Not guilty, your honor, with an explanation" was his response (in broken English)! The judge said, OK Mr. ____, let me hear your explanation! "OK your honor... You see I just came to this country a few weeks ago, and needed a job! I met a guy who told me I could make money driving people around, If I gave him $900, he would sell me his car, and throw in the license and registration for just $50 dollars more!! The judge looked at him, shook his head, and then said "If this is true, then you are just another immigrant who has been taken advantage of by a member of our society. I'm going to let you slide if you promise to not drive this vehicle again until you go to the motor vehicle dept and get the proper documents". "Thank you your honor was his response! Of course, I had to pay the fine for my ticket!! When I got outside, the gent got right into his car (which was parked in an illegal spot), and simply drove off into the sunset!! True story.

N4KVE

When I got outside, the gent got right into his car (which was parked in an illegal spot), and simply drove off into the sunset!! True story.
They know how to deal with these types here. That person would have been followed out of the courtroom by a plainclothes cop, & the moment he sat down in the driver's seat, he'd be arrested, & have his car towed. Way too many unlicensed,
unregistered, & uninsured drivers here.

TheSpaceMann

They know how to deal with these types here. That person would have been followed out of the courtroom by a plainclothes cop, & the moment he sat down in the driver's seat, he'd be arrested, & have his car towed. Way too many unlicensed,
unregistered, & uninsured drivers here.
That's what should have happened! But unfortunately in a huge city with thousands of unlicensed characters driving around in unregistered and uninsured vehicles, the system just doesn't have enough money or manpower to go after them all! When one of them mows down some innocent people you'll hear an outcry, but in a week or two it just dies down and it's back to business as usual.

KE0GXN

I don't own any chicoms, but I know many hams that do. I have no desire to own one, but I have seen why some folks do. Affordability being the biggest factor, but some I have seen own one for the novelty of it I "guess", because those same hams also have high end rigs too.

I refuse to take the chance of interfering with PS or other entities, so I will probably never own one myself, but until the FCC goes the route of the Swiss, I don't see folks stopping from buying them and using them on the ham bands or anywhere else for that matter.

Read a thread on here where an LEO was using one or wanting to use one on the job......go figure. :confused:

SCPD

QRT
For what it's worth, after reading this post I ran a little BaoFeng 9500 UHF transceiver thru our lab HP spectrum analysis'rs.... its worst case spectral display showed all harmonics and spurs at least 55 Db's down-- this meets the FCC spectral purity requirements
(at least the last time I look'd at the regulations)
............................CF

LongRange308

I own Baofengs (a couple UV5r's and a couple BF888s). I believe they serve their intended purposes as throw around radios for when I go out to the desert and play rough. I would hate for my Yaesu VX7R to get lost or broken (not to mention I HATE-HATE-HATE the channel/freq knob under the volume on that thing, any slight bump or rub while its on my belt, and I'm suddenly not hearing anyone in my group any longer) I also own a higher end Wouxun, the KG-UV9D, and its a very nice little HT..

My mobiles are all Kenwoods and Yaesus, and my next HT will be a Yaesu FT1DR or FT2DR.

The Chicom stuff does have its place, and where I typically use them, Im not too worried about causing interference (miles and miles from any kind of infrastructure, and typically on low tx power) but I will be much more interested to have mine checked to see if they do meet or fail a spectal test, especially (what seems to be anyways) the nicely built Wouxun.

Status
Not open for further replies.