Article in QST on CCR's and compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi LongRange.... :)
I bought a big box full of little BaoFeng UV5's to hand out to my guys at work (after one of our engineers dropped her expensive Vertex down an out house!) I agree with you, they are remarkable radios... I like especially how long they can operate between battery charges. All that aside, I carry one with me all the time- using it on UHF.
After reading your comment this morning, I ran that radio past my HP8564E..... and could not find any spurs etc. that were not less than 56 db's below the fundamental frequency. I'm not sure what the tech. standards for spectral purity are legally, but that is a pretty clean signal in my book. I would not be concerned about your radios- :)
.................................CF

bharvey2

CF - I'm glad you took the time to give these the once over. I'd like to but I don't have access to all of the cool toys that you do. I have a couple of CCRs and have never had any problem with them. Sure, they aren't built to the standards of ruggedness that Motorola, Tait, Kenwood or the other big boys adhere to but they have there place especially in the HAM arena. It probably won't slow down the "haters" but it's good to know that they aren't all bad. Yeah, I like my big, bad, tough as nails Part 90 radios but it's also good to have a few that I don't have to fret over constantly about being lost, stolen or run over by a truck.

Thanks

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
CF - I'm glad you took the time to give these the once over. I'd like to but I don't have access to all of the cool toys that you do. I have a couple of CCRs and have never had any problem with them. Sure, they aren't built to the standards of ruggedness that Motorola, Tait, Kenwood or the other big boys adhere to but they have there place especially in the HAM arena. It probably won't slow down the "haters" but it's good to know that they aren't all bad. Yeah, I like my big, bad, tough as nails Part 90 radios but it's also good to have a few that I don't have to fret over constantly about being lost, stolen or run over by a truck.

Thanks
Confucious say wise man not leave precious radio under wheels, or wise man not so wise! :D. 73, n9zas

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The funny thing is that I know of one very experienced and very technically-oriented ham who has tested his Baofeng (I don't know which model) and he says it's fine. Is there a big difference between models or are there quality control problems across a production run?

I think it varies from model to model, and even by production run. I have a UV5R that I keep on my desk at work for emergencies, and it's in the borderline category; it's compliant, but right on the edge. However, I've seen others that totally stink, and still others that are well within compliance limits.

bharvey2

Nope, not me. At least not yet. I used to buy Kenwoods and Motorolas for guys at work. More that one has been dropped and run over with a forklift. I don't know any brand that will tolerate that. They cheap ones make the replacement cost a little easier to swallow.

SCPD

QRT
I think the answer key to this issue lies with the production run (etc) of each radio. Like others have aptly pointed out, it seems to be the pick-of the litter as to how good each radio is. I plan,-- though not to quickly,-- to run some of the other BaoFengs we have for a spectrum look- if I see any thing weird I will post it.
We haven't had any Truck Tire Stress Analysis, or Outhouse Dunk'ngs Survival Tests..... ;) ....... but aside from frying one that inadvertently strayed into the beam of a V-Band radar,- they have endured all the insults of what over a year's worth of use has done to them..... (sorry, quite a run-on sentence, No?....:) )
.........................CF

bharvey2

We haven't had any Truck Tire Stress Analysis, or Outhouse Dunk'ngs Survival Tests..... ;) ....... but aside from frying one that inadvertently strayed into the beam of a V-Band radar,- they have endured all the insults of what over a year's worth of use has done to them..... (sorry, quite a run-on sentence, No?....:) )

No radar exposure tests on my end but the "Truck Tire Stress Analysis" that you so eloquently alluded to has resulted in a 100% failure rate regardless of model or brand.

Rumor has it that a Motorola rep used to through HTs against a wall to demonstrate their ruggedness. I'm confident my guys would give him a sound thrashing!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
No radar exposure tests on my end but the "Truck Tire Stress Analysis" that you so eloquently alluded to has resulted in a 100% failure rate regardless of model or brand.
How about rail car wheel stress test? Even old WABCO railroad handhelds can't survive that.

I've seen videos of guys driving over loaded AR-15 magazines to demonstrate how tough the mags are. I guess the moral of the story is, if man can make it, man can attempt to drive a truck over it.

bharvey2

We only have two sites with rail spur access so rail related damage is minimal. That's all they need is another palette on which to work!

prcguy

I know V band doesn't penetrate skin very far but I would think the user of the fried radio would have had a very warm feeling while the radio was getting the what for. I've also done a bit of radar work at V band and have a couple of prototype transverters that take 30-76MHz mil radios to V band at 1 watt transmit power.
prcguy

I think the answer key to this issue lies with the production run (etc) of each radio. Like others have aptly pointed out, it seems to be the pick-of the litter as to how good each radio is. I plan,-- though not to quickly,-- to run some of the other BaoFengs we have for a spectrum look- if I see any thing weird I will post it.

SCPD

QRT
Smiling................fortunately that radio and it's Tech were not a unit at the time.... not that V-Band stuff penetrates the tissues very deeply, but the transmitter in this case is very high powered and is definitely a No-No to cross its path. I absolutely forbid anyone to get near the antenna when its hot- it can fry the corneal tissues of the eyes is a split second... ;(
Boy, did that divert from the poor little ChiCom radio's discussion....sorry guys...lol.... :)
.............................CF

N8OHU

Smiling................fortunately that radio and it's Tech were not a unit at the time.... not that V-Band stuff penetrates the tissues very deeply, but the transmitter in this case is very high powered and is definitely a No-No to cross its path. I absolutely forbid anyone to get near the antenna when its hot- it can fry the corneal tissues of the eyes is a split second... ;(
Boy, did that divert from the poor little ChiCom radio's discussion....sorry guys...lol.... :)
.............................CF

I don't mind using them for experimentation, or in a situation where potential loss of the radio could make replacement expensive, but for most uses, I'll stick with my more expensive radios that really aren't that much more expensive in the long run.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
I didn't see anything on the Tytera MD-380. Does anyone know where they stand, compliance wise?

I thought I heard they were part of Connect Systems, but could be wrong.

N8OHU

I didn't see anything on the Tytera MD-380. Does anyone know where they stand, compliance wise?

I thought I heard they were part of Connect Systems, but could be wrong.
The only connection that I am aware of between the MD-380 and Connect Systems is that Jerry is/was a dealer for Tytera for a while.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The subject of this thread was an article in QST about specific radios that they had tested to that point. There's been no follow-up article.

Brts96

Premium Subscriber
The subject of this thread was an article in QST about specific radios that they had tested to that point. There's been no follow-up article.
You're right, thank you for keeping the thread on track. My apologies, and I stand corrected.
Respectfully,
Brts96

Status
Not open for further replies.