Arvada FD Testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackice

Just heard what sounded like fire tone outs on 06-021 on the EDACS system. I'm wondering if this is going to be the dispatch TG and if this means they may go live soon.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Awesome. I'll put an ear to it when I get back in town Monday. Was it just "test 1,2,3,4" or was it test pages/dispatches?

ch40n1k

Speaking of Arvada

Ever since I was a kid I've monitored Arvada fire. What's the deal with dispatch identifying (callsign) at the end of every transmission? (I think it's KJW507)

Toneslider12

A suburban location near a metropolitan area
ch40n1k said:
Ever since I was a kid I've monitored Arvada fire. What's the deal with dispatch identifying (callsign) at the end of every transmission? (I think it's KJW507)

The FCC requires license holders to broadcast their call sign on a regular basis. If I remember correctly, new systems like the P25 and EDACS transmit the call sign in code automatically. VHF users don't have that ability had must air the call sign verbally or in morris code.

ch40n1k

Yeah, I know that FCC requires identification ... it just seems that Arvada does so more often than any other ... even when all the departments were conventional ...

Meh ... I don't know. It's just one of those things I've always wondered about.

jfab

Hearing a medical call on that same tg(06-021)right now. hearing dispatch and units, as well as pridemark. this was at 1844 hrs. can anyone confirm any other tg's they might be using?

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
TG 08-011 on the Arvada/Westy system is a rather poor patch of the UHF AFD comms. Certainly not using an EDACS radio to access the system directly.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Woke up during that big fire this AM and noticed the BC780XLT showing a patch with 06-021 and 08-011 on the Arvada system. All the comms were much clearer than the traffic on 08-011 earlier. Of course, the GRE doesn't show patch info so it very well may have been patched to 06-021 then as well. I think it's official that AFD is on the EDACS system.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
And both sides of the comms seemed to still be on UHF still as well.

Jim<

ffrsw101

Arvada is now in the process of training all of the crews how the new radio system works the training will go on all this week. The mobile units will be installed in the trucks over the next few weeks. For now the UHF is only patched through the EDACS system for training. The crews are still using the UHF radios on calls. I know that they want to leave it this way for a few weeks then go live mid April. I know that they only have a few talk groups created with more in the works once they go live.

jfab

ffrsw101 said:
Arvada is now in the process of training all of the crews how the new radio system works the training will go on all this week. The mobile units will be installed in the trucks over the next few weeks. For now the UHF is only patched through the EDACS system for training. The crews are still using the UHF radios on calls. I know that they want to leave it this way for a few weeks then go live mid April. I know that they only have a few talk groups created with more in the works once they go live.
Do you know if they will still have the same channels(channel 1 dispatch and channel 3 fireground), or are they adding more?

Toneslider12

A suburban location near a metropolitan area
ch40n1k said:
Yeah, I know that FCC requires identification ... it just seems that Arvada does so more often than any other ... even when all the departments were conventional ...

Meh ... I don't know. It's just one of those things I've always wondered about.

I asked an ex-AFD dispatcher about this the other day. Basically they had to air the call sign at least once an hour. Sometimes it would happen more often depending on radio traffic and whether they were paying attention to the clock or not.

jfab

Toneslider12 said:
I asked an ex-AFD dispatcher about this the other day. Basically they had to air the call sign at least once an hour. Sometimes it would happen more often depending on radio traffic and whether they were paying attention to the clock or not.
Seems like most of the time it is aired either right on or close to the hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.