ARX450B

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a new Cushcraft ARX450B . I am using it for a scanner antenna. It works great, but when it rains I can’t pick up the 450 band. It will start to pick up VHF High channels. This is the strangest thing that I have seen before. The sun comes out and I will start to receive the 450 band and loose VHF High again. I have been up on my tower checking and making sure all connections are moisture free. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
This sounds like a typical "water-in-the-coax" issue. As the moisture enters the coax it begins to attenuate the signal. When the sun comes out it dries out the coax reducing the attenuation. What kind of coax are you using? The way the connector is mounted on the antenna makes it difficult to waterproof the connection properly. Make sure the wraps of tape point down (as in shingles) so the water runs off and not into the wraps. The final wrap should finish going up.
BB

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
This sounds like a typical "water-in-the-coax" issue. As the moisture enters the coax it begins to attenuate the signal. When the sun comes out it dries out the coax reducing the attenuation. What kind of coax are you using? The way the connector is mounted on the antenna makes it difficult to waterproof the connection properly. Make sure the wraps of tape point down (as in shingles) so the water runs off and not into the wraps. The final wrap should finish going up.
BB

That is what I am thinking too. Water in the the Coax Using RG6..............

Status
Not open for further replies.