As police encrypt radios, attorney general urges law enforcement help the news media

rivermersey

Premium Subscriber
As police encrypt radios, attorney general urges law enforcement help the news media – Palo Alto Daily Post (padailypost.com)

Nearly a year after Palo Alto abruptly began encrypting police radio transmissions — meaning the public and news media can’t hear what officers are doing — the California Attorney General’s Office said law enforcement should “take any necessary steps” to help reporters get information they need.

The comment came as the San Francisco Police Department this month rolled out procedures to protect subjects’ personal information that goes out over the airwaves, without going to full radio encryption. The public can still listen to dispatchers send San Francisco officers out on calls and hear the outcome of the call. The Post first reported SFPD’s plans for partial encryption in May.

Protecting personal information, such as a person’s name along with their driver’s license number, was the subject of a California Department of Justice bulletin in October 2020.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
When does anything they do, done, ever plan to do make sense? lol

Can you expand on this thought? If California were a country, it would rank as the 5th largest economy in the world at $3 trillion GSP. But please tell me more about how nothing California does makes any sense. For some perspective, Mitch McConnell's Kentucky boats a $189 billion GSP (6% of California) and ranks 48 out of 50 in the US for fiscal stability and 45 for employment opportunities.

Where can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Reconrider

If California were a country, it would rank as the 5th largest economy in the world

Yes, such a greata state and yet they have 160 THOUSAND homeless people that they won't help figure to get jobs/homes.

The next highest homeless state you ask? New York at 91 thousand, HALF of that "great state" you claim.

So here's an idea, you should me where the great parts of commifornia are in your "newsletter" because I'd love to join it. Making 3 trillion but having 160k homeless people is something to brag about ( /s )

stats are from 2019

jland138

> The next highest homeless state you ask? New York at 91 thousand, HALF of that "great state" you claim.

Not sure what this has to do with the CADOJ encryption mandate, but New York has half the total population of California (19 vs 39 million) and California is geographically more than 3 times larger than New York. So, I don't see how a raw number comparison makes sense.

But, I'm OK with ending homelessness and radio encryption on dispatch channels, if that's what you're trying to say.

SYZ1165

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion, the news media should not be entitled to any greater access than the average citizen. If the news media is allowed to listen to police radio traffic, then everyone should.
I totally agree. I have heard that even as far as back as in the 1950s people monitored police radio traffic. If the news media can listen, why not the every day citizen who means no harm in and just wants to know what’s going on in their neighborhood and to find out when the night when the next chase is coming through their area so they can avoid it. It seems like not too much to ask. Today’s law-enforcement agencies can easily go to a tech channel or a swatch channel or some secure channel. If they need to give out an address name or any vital information that did not want to be broadcast on main dispatch channels it’s a simple as that no one I think is the safer was having full encryption because the bad actors will still be acting bad full encryption or not so let’s just please slow down on this full encryption and let people monitor what they would like to monitor just like in the good old days

jparks29

John McClane
Can you expand on this thought? If California were a country, it would rank as the 5th largest economy in the world at $3 trillion GSP. But please tell me more about how nothing California does makes any sense. For some perspective, Mitch McConnell's Kentucky boats a $189 billion GSP (6% of California) and ranks 48 out of 50 in the US for fiscal stability and 45 for employment opportunities.

Where can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Tell me you don't understand what an unfunded liability is without telling me you don't know what an unfunded liability.

Revenue generated in trade isn't profit, and it's not owned or generated by the state, in fact, it's generated in spite of the state...