ASAP on VHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've seen a post somewhere about ASAP being on Southern LINC but I happened to be behind one of their trucks and it had a 1/4 wave VHF whip on the roof. Any ideas as to what it's used for?

dave911

Premium Subscriber
Could it be a way to monitor the Trooper Post or a "State Net" radio? Every scene I've been on where they have been, they've been using those blasted SouthernLinc radios.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Since they are part or the DOT, they all have VHF radios. For example, the ASAP truck here in Mobile, uses it's VHF radio for it's calls. Even though yours may not be using their VHF radio for everyday operations, it's there as a backup in case SL goes down or for interoperablility with other DOT districts.

Steve

Several years back I worked some overtime shifts in the radio room at the Birmingham Post. At that time ASAP used SouthernLinc and DPS 2 both. SouthernLinc was the main contact (one to one not group) especially if out of the truck and DPS 2 was secondary (but it was used a good bit). Also DPS 6 was used to talk to the Troopers on scene. Even though they are ALDOT, Birmingham ASAP worked like a DPS unit when I was working those shifts ( going on duty, off duty and etc with the B-ham Trooper Post).
Things may have changed since then (probably have, whole bunch of changes since I left).

Steve
KD4LCY
KAF9087

dgoodson

Feed Provider
In the Mobile area, along I-10, the ASAP trucks are pretty active on 151.01 simplex

I haven't heard them on DPS or DOT VHF in the Birmingham area, guess it could be that they are equipped with VHF as a backup or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.