Asheville - Buncombe question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Hey guys and ladies,

I'll be coming to visit for a visit to the Asheville and was wondering what is the NAC code for Asheville P25 Phase 1 system? Or has Asheville PD joined the Buncombe Phase 2 system? I will be saving this system as a favorite on my scanner. I know Asheville SO is encrypted.

Thank you for your time.

- Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The info for the system should all be on the database page for Buncombe county. Asheville city has their own system that only runs encryption on the certain TAC talkgroups. Buncombe county runs encryption on the Sheriffs office and a few of the EMS talkgroups. Everything else in Buncombe county is in the clear. Both systems are currently running on just phase 1. Each system has interop groups with the other & the majority of the radios in the county & city have both systems programmed but typically stick with their home systems.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Both also have interop with VIPER, and Black Mountain PD uses VIPER for its communications. So for total coverage, you really do need all three systems!

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Hi Jamie,

The info for the system should all be on the database page for Buncombe county. Asheville city has their own system that only runs encryption on the certain TAC talkgroups. Buncombe county runs encryption on the Sheriffs office and a few of the EMS talkgroups. Everything else in Buncombe county is in the clear. Both systems are currently running on just phase 1. Each system has interop groups with the other & the majority of the radios in the county & city have both systems programmed but typically stick with their home systems.

From what it shows for that area Asheville has two different systems they use for different agencies. Asheville PD, Fire, Transportation, Public Works, Events, Highway Patrol and Probation uses Asheville P25 system while the other agencies uses the Viper system. Just want to make sure I got this right.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
From what it shows for that area Asheville has two different systems they use for different agencies. Asheville PD, Fire, Transportation, Public Works, Events, Highway Patrol and Probation uses Asheville P25 system while the other agencies uses the Viper system. Just want to make sure I got this right.
NCDOT IMAP (not actual state highway patrol) uses VIPER and Ashville City TRS. NC SHP(the actual state highway patrol) uses VIPER exclusively. All City of Asheville agencies use the City TRS. County Sheriff, Fire, EMS are on the County TRS. Sheriff is full time encrypted, EMS to ER is encrypted, APD tacticals, etc, are encrypted, but dispatches are clear. As far as I know, Woodfin PD, and Weaverville PD are dispatched by the Sheriff, and is thus E. Only PD not E besides APD, and UNC-A PD, is Black Mountain on the VIPER. Also, if your going to check out the Biltmore Estate, their PD uses an MotoTRBO Capacity Plus DMR system - Biltmore Estate Police Department Trunking System, Asheville, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies I am not sure if Biltmore Forest PD is also now dispatched by Sheriff and thus E, or still on VHF, same for FD. I do not see separate TG's listed for BFFD.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCDOT IMAP (not actual state highway patrol) uses VIPER and Ashville City TRS. NC SHP(the actual state highway patrol) uses VIPER exclusively. All City of Asheville agencies use the City TRS. County Sheriff, Fire, EMS are on the County TRS. Sheriff is full time encrypted, EMS to ER is encrypted, APD tacticals, etc, are encrypted, but dispatches are clear. As far as I know, Woodfin PD, and Weaverville PD are dispatched by the Sheriff, and is thus E. Only PD not E besides APD, and UNC-A PD, is Black Mountain on the VIPER. Also, if your going to check out the Biltmore Estate, their PD uses an MotoTRBO Capacity Plus DMR system - Biltmore Estate Police Department Trunking System, Asheville, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies I am not sure if Biltmore Forest PD is also now dispatched by Sheriff and thus E, or still on VHF, same for FD. I do not see separate TG's listed for BFFD.

BFFD is no longer and was dissolved into Skyland a few years back. BFPD is still around and is dispatched by BCSO and I believe they have their own talkgroup but I'd have to check for that (though I'm sure it's also encrypted).

trumpetman

Database Admin
Biltmore Forest PD is alive and well on their VHF frequency in DMR mode. I was not aware they were dispatched by the sheriff's office now, they were self-dispatched for as long as I can remember.

Biltmore Forest PD is alive and well on their VHF frequency in DMR mode. I was not aware they were dispatched by the sheriff's office now, they were self-dispatched for as long as I can remember.

I should make a correction-last I had heard is they were being dispatched by the SO but that may have been a temporary thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.