Asheville Fire - Changes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

FF705

I still receive SMS text messages from Buncombe EOC for all county fire related updates (not fires).

Just before 2 PM I received... "be advised AFD switch over to P25 was a success and they will now be operating off the new radio system"

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
This means the system upgrade to p25 has happened. Everything is supposed to be encrypted last I heard

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

trumpetman

Database Admin
The P25 control channel is not in the original channel lineup for the old system, which is how both systems have been able to run since August. Check between 856-861.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
AFD will not be encrypted.

Thank Heavens!

I have been successful in monitoring new phase II talkgroups on the Asheville system with my '436. At least for the present, neither FD dispatch nor PD dispatch are encrypted. Not sure if that might change for PD. Hopefully, only sensitive operations might be encrypted and dispatch will remain open.

Apparently, some of the talkgroups on the new system (mostly non-public safety thus far) are still phase I since I am able to monitor them on my HP-1.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Hopefully since they were first saying all ps would be encrypted

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Additional information...

This is my first Phase 2 experience and I noticed that I was still receiving some Asheville transmissions on my Phase 1-only scanner. After reading up on Phase 2 systems, I discovered that Phase 1 radios can continue to be used on these new systems. Most probably to allow for gradual migration to Phase 2 operation.

According to what I read, it appears that any talkgroup that has any Phase 1 radio affiliated to it will continue to operate in Phase 1 mode. Only when ALL radios in a talkgroup are Phase 2 capable will that talkgroup operate in Phase 2 mode.

Thus, it appears as if certain groups can still continued to be monitored as standard P25 systems until all of the older radios are replaced with newer Phase 2 radios. And this information seems to be borne out by my recent listening.

Interesting stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.