Asheville Fire Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Not sure who volunteered to put the Asheville Fire feed up, but thank you very much!!! Not living in area anymore, I miss out on the happenings in the Asheville area. Now I can keep up with what is going on. Thanks!

nate1992

your welcome i posted the feed glad to see your enjoying it hope to have the county up as soon as i get another audio cable join our site if you want
Asheville Buncombe Scan Club - Home
Ashevilles been slow the past few days but we had a explosive found in a house right be for i put the feed up

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the Buncombe County feed as well. Would it be possible to put FireCom in the scan list as well?

Last edited:

nate1992

Ya i can put it on there i don't know if it will pick up good the county feed is on a older scanner at the moment tell i can upgraded it but ill give it a shot =D

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Thanks nate1992, sounds fine to me!

For those that are unfamilar with how the dispatching is done in Buncombe, here is a quick overview: Fire Paging (154.815) is strictly paging for the county VFD's and only the EOC and the base stations at the firehouses have the capability to talk on Fire Paging, no mobiles or portables I don't think can key up. FireComm (155.610) is for checking en-route and giving sizeup info, etc. Upon dispatch, each incident is assigned a fireground channel and can usually be monitored from most parts of the county due to most of the FGs going through a repeater. The only ones you probably won't hear unless you are close is Swannanoa (sta. 6), Woodfin (sta. 20), and Garren Creek (sta. 23) because these departments do not have their own repeater. Corrections welcome if I left something out.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I've heard mention of a Woodfin repeater a few times, I know the dispatcher can make mistakes, but it's been referenced several times. I've also noticed the former Haw Creek FD repeater active after Woodfin is dispatched as well. Someone ought to program it in and see if it's been assigned to a different dept since AFD took over a few months ago.

nate1992

woddfin dose not have a fd i do not belive im almost sure of it i thank weverville and ash runs for them ill check on it though and weverville took Hal Creeks channels i also thank ill find out for sure

trumpetman

Database Admin
Woodfin FD is station 20, it's a small department, with only one main station. Weaverville still uses their 155.9250 repeater. Haw Creek's license is still active for another few years as well, so who knows what it could be used for. All the repeater info is current as of 2 weeks ago when I was home.

ts548

Thanks nate1992, sounds fine to me!

For those that are unfamilar with how the dispatching is done in Buncombe, here is a quick overview: Fire Paging (154.815) is strictly paging for the county VFD's and only the EOC and the base stations at the firehouses have the capability to talk on Fire Paging, no mobiles or portables I don't think can key up. FireComm (155.610) is for checking en-route and giving sizeup info, etc. Upon dispatch, each incident is assigned a fireground channel and can usually be monitored from most parts of the county due to most of the FGs going through a repeater. The only ones you probably won't hear unless you are close is Swannanoa (sta. 6), Woodfin (sta. 20), and Garren Creek (sta. 23) because these departments do not have their own repeater. Corrections welcome if I left something out.

You are correct, most of your larger departments have repeaters so when they are disptached you wil hear such such on such such repeater.

fyrboy

The only county districts Asheville has absorbed are 7 (Haw Creek, now Asheville Station 12) & 13 (Biltmore Forest - Asheville's Quint 5 is first-due). Station 23 (Garren Creek) is in rural eastern Buncombe County. Annexation, however, has chipped away at county stations 5 (West Buncombe), 9 (Reynolds), 10 (Enka), 11 (Riceville), & 21 (Skyland). Station 14 (Reems Creek) absorbed station 17 (Beaverdam) several years ago, and Asheville has annexed portions of the former Beaverdam district. Trumpetman is correct about Woodfin (Station 20). A list is in the Wiki. When I try to access the scan club I get an "error" message.

Last edited:

kj4vad

Premium Subscriber
Woodfin FD (station 20) is a volunteer station with 6 full time firefighters, 2 ppl per 24hr shift.

The Haw Creek repeater belongs to Woodfin now.

SigandSmith

Buncombe Co. Sheriff, etc.

Hi, gents.

I'm a scanner noob living in South Asheville. I'd like to purchase a scanner to monitor the Buncombe Co. Sheriff, Skyland Fire/EMS and NC State Police.

Do I need a trunking and/or digital scanner?

Also, any suggestions for a good handheld scanner in the $100 - $200 range??

Thanks!
Sig

trumpetman

Database Admin
Welcome to the forums Sig,

Buncombe County itself is analog conventional, so any old scanner will do to monitor EMS, fire, & sheriff. AFD also has the dispatch side of Fire Dispatch simulcasted on a VHF conventional channel. Asheville City fire, police, transit, and public works uses an analog motorola trunked system. Rumors have circled for months, if not years that APD will make the switch to digital, so that comes down to a flip of a coin and chance. Highway Patrol in Buncombe (Troop G District 4) is now on a statewide trunked radio system called VIPER, with analog talkgroups, but all state agencies are transitioning to digital talkgroups soon.

Depending on what you want to hear decides on how much you are going to have to spend on a scanner. You could survive off of an analog trunking scanner for a while, but after a while (how long is anybody's guess), you'll slowly miss out on hearing SHP on both sides (dispatch will be on lowband VHF for a while.)

It's quite a lot to take in, and it'll take some time, but don't hesitate to ask if you've got anymore questions.

Take Care,

nate1992

hey guys sorry my scans went down but its up again so if you still want to to in to buncombe county fire and AFR its up

nate1992

Yes

yes i redid the website its a little less complexed also we have a chat serves called team speak that you can get on and talk with other ppl listing in with voice ( if you have mic ) or text
GO to teamspeak.com to download ITS COMPLETELY FREE
connect to 75.143.254.240 as the ip and 9988 as the port
the web site is now http://www.abalert.co.nr
also im working on setting the text message and E-mail alerts back up for those interested that is still undetermined though

Last edited:

nate1992

Hi, gents.

I'm a scanner noob living in South Asheville. I'd like to purchase a scanner to monitor the Buncombe Co. Sheriff, Skyland Fire/EMS and NC State Police.

Do I need a trunking and/or digital scanner?

Also, any suggestions for a good handheld scanner in the $100 - $200 range??

Thanks!
Sig

Most of south Asheville is now City, Skyland has pretty much no district south and the sides are being chipped at too so for the city yes u need a trunking also for the state police the rest are convit as stated above if made able in the near future i hope to have some more feeds up

Status
Not open for further replies.