Asheville, OH. Guy with scanners and LEO equipment too close to airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadSpleen85

It's people like this that give the rest of us a bad wrap.

Guy with fully outfitted Grand Prix gets close to the runway Air Force One was taking off from, found with several antenna mounted on his car, scanners, strobe lights and a siren box mounted under the steering wheel. And best of all he was carrying a XD 40 sidearm.

Defiantly a charge we do not have here in Kansas... Charged with "going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor" quoted directly from MSNBC link below.

Armed man arrested at Asheville airport as Obama departs | citizen-times.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Armed man arrested at NC airport as Obama departs - U.S. news- msnbc.com

davidbond21

The last time Bush 43 flew into San Antonio, me and my buddy, using our scanners, were able to time it so that on our way to work, we were able to pull off the side of the road about 30 seconds before Air Force 1 flew directly overhead at about 40-50 feet. The plane is quite something else to see as close as one can manage to get to it.

When we posted our experience that morning on here, another poster made what I thought was a pretty salient comment:

"So, how did it feel to be in the crosshairs of a .50 cal Secret Service sniper rifle?"

Thinking about it, he was probably not too far off from the mark. I'm willing to bet we were well observed pulling off the road, taking pictures, talking excitedly amongst ourselves, and then driving off. I'm pretty sure he was being watched too.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
siren box
mounted digital camera
LED law enforcement-style strobe lights in the front and rear dash
antennas and radio equipment monitoring police
rifle scope formulas
handgun
AF1 over head - teams of secret service in the area

looks like he set himself up good

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
The last time Bush 43 flew into San Antonio, me and my buddy, using our scanners, were able to time it so that on our way to work, we were able to pull off the side of the road about 30 seconds before Air Force 1 flew directly overhead at about 40-50 feet. The plane is quite something else to see as close as one can manage to get to it.

When we posted our experience that morning on here, another poster made what I thought was a pretty salient comment:

"So, how did it feel to be in the crosshairs of a .50 cal Secret Service sniper rifle?"

Thinking about it, he was probably not too far off from the mark. I'm willing to bet we were well observed pulling off the road, taking pictures, talking excitedly amongst ourselves, and then driving off. I'm pretty sure he was being watched too.
Yeah it was probably a .308 sniper rifle.:D

brandon

Database Admin
Interesting. Wonder if he is a member here?
Magic 8 Ball: Processing...

siren box
mounted digital camera
LED law enforcement-style strobe lights in the front and rear dash
antennas and radio equipment monitoring police
rifle scope formulas
handgun
Magic 8 Ball: All signs point to YES! :lol:

N0YFE

The rest of the story

This would have been the right recipe to make all the "obama drama" a NON-bama. :twisted:
Just sayin......

n9zas

I'm still waiting to get the rest of the story. From what I've put together from a few sources is that the person was a volunteer with the police agency in his area, an amateur radio operator and skywarn spotter. The person also had a permit to carry a firearm. One the "police lights", they were amber / clear and legal by state laws. This is the 1st I've heard of the invalid drivers license.

I also have not read if the "siren box" actually had siren tones or was a PA / air horn box. If it was a siren box, that's just another dum think he did and a good way to get your car towed and some heavy fines.

As for a different story, the guy stopped to assist some one on the side of the road and the person refused to speak. The guy went back to his vehicle and picked up his firearm and then walked back to the car. Near as I can tell the guy is young, ambitious, and making some choices that are not the best.

We've all know and have heard stories of the over eager volunteer. I can't be 100% sure but it sounds like this is the case and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and ran into the wrong side of the law. He'll either get a hit on how to straighten up or not learn and keep getting in trouble in the future.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Heres another site on him and his car - also videos

VIDEO & PHOTOS Joseph Sean McVey arrested with gun at Asheville airport; wanted to meet Obama : starcasm.net

Joseph Sean McVey videos featuring his accessorized Pontiac : starcasm.net

www.coshoctontribune.com | Zoom Image

Associated Press - with some pictures
YouTube - Judge Holds Armed Man Arrested As Obama Left NC

JSMcVeycar.jpg

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
WANNABE

McVey released from N.C. jail on $100,000 bond | coshoctontribune.com | Coshocton Tribune

"The only local criminal record on file involving McVey at the Coshocton County Sheriff's Office was a January incident when he was detained for a roadside confrontation outside Conesville, where he was armed.

In the incident report, McVey stated he was returning to his Coshocton home from Conesville, where he had been pistol shooting. He saw two cars pulled over on Ohio 16, and even though the individuals involved waived him on, McVey stopped. He retrieved his handgun and holstered it in plain sight and asked the male and female occupants what had happened, the statement reads. The man was upset with him, according to McVey, and acted aggressively.

An SUV pulled up and the driver of that vehicle told McVey and the other party he had contacted the sheriff's office. McVey walked back to his vehicle and radioed dispatch, which informed him they were already on the way.

Deputies questioned McVey about his weapon, but he was not charged.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reported McVey indicated he wanted to become a police officer on a social networking website. The Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy, which must certify any sworn law enforcement officer, has no record of McVey, according to the Ohio Attorney General's Office. And Lt. Bill Kobel of the sheriff's office said he was not aware of any request by McVey to be a part of the office auxiliary.

McVey, who received a concealed-carry permit only last month, lost his privileges Monday, Sheriff Tim Rogers said."

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Heres where it gets plain creepy and classic whacker-ish example

McVey had 2006 flashing lights ticket

McVey had 2006 flashing lights ticket | coshoctontribune.com | Coshocton Tribune

"Joseph Sean McVey was pulled over by sheriff's deputies near Wheeling, W.Va., after a woman reported a driver was using blue flashing lights to try to stop her.

The sheriff's office says deputies confiscated two blue flashing lights and handcuffs from McVey's car.

It's unlawful in West Virginia for anyone but police to use blue flashing lights. McVey paid $170 for the violation.

Police said McVey had a handgun, police gear and an invalid Ohio driver license when he was arrested at the Asheville, N.C., airport Sunday after President Barack Obama departed. He was charged with a misdemeanor and released on bond."

Ohio Valley Man Arrested with Gun Near Air Force One Has Previous Crimes - WTRF-TV - WTRF.com

Ohio County Sheriff''s Department Cpl. John Kyle said he pulled Joseph Sean McVey over in 2006 after a woman called 911 and said a suspicious car was attempting to pull her over on Route 88 in Ohio County.

According to Kyle, the incident happened around 4 a.m. and deputies later determined it was McVey's car equipped with the flashing emergency lights and sirens.

Kyle said he asked McVey what he was trying to do and he said he was just trying to see if he could pull people over.
Couldn't be a better example

Last edited:

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
OK,I saw this thread and read some of the comments and I would like to say something. First he was a member of REACT,NOT any type of emergency services worker and should not have a gun, according to the article that someone had a link to. Second,just by looking at his car,which really is a joke, anyone who has any experience in emergency services would know that he is not any type of emergency services employee,paid or otherwise.His car does look something like a storm chaser vehicle,nothing more than that!!!!!! If he would have come to NY with that car he would have been laughed out of the state by every emergency services worker. That being said he is nuts thinking he could just walk up and meet the president without prior notice. It just doesnt happen. Now,ham or not the focus should not be on what he makes the hobby look like,because that is not the true focus. The focus should be how he got a gun from Ohio to NC. Also did he really have a carry permit for a handgun,as they are almost immpossible to get these days,plus he carried it accross state lines and probably didnt have a gun permit in NC. Lets focus on the criminal issues,not the egos about the hobby people. Noone stated at all in any of the news reports about the so called abuse of him being a ham.Another thing to think about,if a clean cut american kid can do this what about the terrorists who are ham operators(licensed or not) and use the ham radio to transmit their terrorist activities and plans to their members???? Think about that!!!!!!!!!! I know this site is about radios,so lets focus on the true abusers of radios,scanners and ham alike!!!!!!!! Just because he was a ham and had radios does not mean he used them to commit this crime,and thats what it is,a crime.Oh, one more thing,anyone think maybe,just maybe this kid has some type of mental illness?????Just some things to think about,because the hobby is not abused by legitimate users like yourselves.The key word being LEGITIMATE!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.