Asheville P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfr22

Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to monitor Asheville's P25 for awhile. I have a SDS200, outside d130nj discone antenna 6' above roofline, Lmr400 coax, and about 23 miles from Asheville's east tower. I can receive vhf-uhf-viper north to Tenn&Va, south to SC, & 4 counties to the east, viper is crystal clear, but I could never pickup Asheville over the hill, unless I went mobile with the sds100, and would have to drive 5 or so miles closer. In the last 2 weeks, just as their 158.82vhf went off air, I have been receiving Asheville P25, using wide normal filter, rssi -116dBm, -100dBm, sometimes into the -90's.
I have two questions, can Asheville 'boost' power on the system, is that possible? And some/most nights after midnight, scanner goes quiet for up to 45minutes, even PD goes silent, days are so busy, midnight seems abnormal. Would they be using different freq to communicate? Thanks !

trumpetman

Database Admin
Asheville uses directional antennas so you're not going to see much signal make it to Black Mountain. There may have been a change to antennas recently that increased your reception but to answer your question, the system shouldn't change power levels or frequencies and when it's quiet it may just not be busy. There aren't a lot of officers on the road in Asheville these days so 45 minutes of silence is highly plausible.

waterbwuk

Feed Provider
Something to watch for also, for the last couple of weeks the control channel has been changing around. Just a few days ago it was 859.7625 and now it's back on 857.9875 (for now).

Status
Not open for further replies.