Asheville TRS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I've recently npticed a second control channel has appeared on one of the channels normally associated with the Asheville trunked system. Software identifies the data stream as "cell 1" of system 2e11, but I have seen no talkgroup activity whatsoever on this control channel.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Perhaps testing of a new Astro-capable system?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Usually SmartNet II syastems have 4 rotating CC's and it appears two have been listed in the database as of Jan 13 this year. My bet is these two freqs may also be in the rotation. 857.76250 858.76250

The CC must be active for talkgroup activity to appear and only one CC is active at a time. What software and scanner are you using?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I have only noticed the three CC's in most rotations for AVL.... At current date there are NO concrete plans by APD to go digital.... They had eneough trouble budget wise when they discussed getting the new remote reader heads for DPW radios. Once the VIPER gos online in this area, they may push for a new system, but odds are they will just patch into it, the way NCDOT patches IMAP into the APD TG's now.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Chief 21 - Are you saying that you have heard two control channels in use at THE SAME TIME ?

Looking at the Asheville TRS license in the FCC ULS, I see the eight frequencies listed in the RR database as being divided into two sets of four ... and two distinct TRS sites.

One site is on Peach Knob (Asheville), and the other is on Crestwood Drive (Arden).

There might have been changes recently to the system, as the FCC license was modified / changed 08232006 .

For hobbyists using Uniden scanners, they might want to reprogram the system as two separate sites.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Yes... What I'm hearing in Asheville are two separate control channels operating AT THE SAME TIME. One is the "normal" CC (that rotates as expected) and I am able to track typical system activity with either trunker or treport when monitoring this channel.

The other CC, identified as system 2e11 cell 1, seems limited only to 860.9875 and, according to trunker and treport, only has two voice channels associated with it. I have monitored this signal for several hours and have not seen a single channel grant, even though the other voice channels are busy. This cc even sounds a bit different than the "normal" one. Also, treport reports the associated voice channels as "Astro - Y".

I haven't yet seen the new licensing data for Asheville that was noted by jeffmulter. Perhaps I AM just hearing the Arden site, but I find it hard to believe that half of the channels in the radio system are virtually quiet, while the remianing channels appear to be nearly overloaded at times.

Any other thoughts??

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Perhaps Asheville is upgrading it's system. Sounds like they are employing a Smartzone Zone controller (hence Cell 1) and have "robbed" a few frequencies from the old system to test the new one. Evenntually as they reprogram radios, traffic will switch from one system to the other, and they'll covert voice frequencies along the way.

That would be my guess.

Is Smartzone a requirement for being part of the VIPER infrastructure? Could they be planning to interface this system to VIPER?

Brian

CCHLLM

It's my understanding that the Asheville system is being upgraded and expanded, and that there will be users added as the system grows. There are also rumors that the system will become a regional system in the future, which falls right into place with the expansion of VIPER. After all, if VIPER had to stand alone without the larger metro/regional systems to share infrastructures and talkgroups, VIPER would just be a statewide trunked radio system limited to mobile radio and data coverage and practically no interops capabilities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.