Asked a cop their opinion on scanners and got a response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed6698

Every so often I hear the last 4 numbers of a ss#. By often I mean, like months, cant recall hearing any anytime recently though.

lucky43113

Here in my county, everything is called into dispatch ssn, tag numbers, whatever the officer needs he asks dispatch to look it up. they will go to a tac channel at times but mostly it's on the normal channels.

Also if anyone has any links to stories of a person with a scanner helping a cop let me know ill pass it along to Mikethecop

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Maybe what goes over the air varies from place to place but here it's very common

With law enforcement, or are you talking about medical emergency communications?

I don't ever recall hearing SS#s in NYC all the years I lived there; but the majority of my scanning was NYPD and FDNY, I rarely tuned in the EMTs! Maybe the EMTs were broadcasting that info on patients they were treating, I dunno.

lucky43113

With law enforcement, or are you talking about medical emergency communications?

I don't ever recall hearing SS#s in NYC all the years I lived there; but the majority of my scanning was NYPD and FDNY, I rarely tuned in the EMTs! Maybe the EMTs were broadcasting that info on patients they were treating, I dunno.

Mostly with law enforcement, I don't hear SS#'s much with EMT's

marksmith

I'm not sure what the pc's in their car are for but everything is called to dispatch they can't look it up them self but on another note, we are going digital this summer.
That's when the pc's in the car will start working. The radio system has to be digital.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

I use my scanner(s) to keep up with whats going on in my town too!
I will often hear something (ie a BOLO) and if I see something related to that call, I'll call the PD work number and if I see something I'll flag down a unit and tell em what happened.
I have a good relation with my town PD and FD and they encourage me to listen and to keep up with whats going on. I'm friends with many of the officers on the dept.
(I'm a civillian)

Last edited:

crazyboy

That's when the pc's in the car will start working. The radio system has to be digital.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

Computers and radio audio have nothing to do with each other.

com501

Digital radio systems and computers in vehicles have no relationship, other than grant money. Some departments are analog, with wahzoo computers, while others have NO computers and run digital radios.

Don't come to Nevada if you want your traffic stop confidential. Here, the ID of ALL passengers is run, status of CCW's is broadcast, and frequently SSN's and home addresses are transmitted on the statewide system.

Some of us really don't want the perps to know where we live, we own machine guns. I live in a PO Box.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Digital radio systems and computers in vehicles have no relationship, other than grant money. Some departments are analog, with wahzoo computers, while others have NO computers and run digital radios.

Don't come to Nevada if you want your traffic stop confidential. Here, the ID of ALL passengers is run, status of CCW's is broadcast, and frequently SSN's and home addresses are transmitted on the statewide system.

Some of us really don't want the perps to know where we live, we own machine guns. I live in a PO Box.

That must be uncomfortable, living in a tiny box like that!

ridgescan

I have had a scanner in all my primary vehicles since 1986 (except my 2016 Lexus RX350 has none because I don't want to muck it up with radios and antennas) starting with a Regency Turboscan 800 in an '86 Camaro and presently a RS Pro2066 in my truck. I have had cop buddies and they all were fine with it. Even a South San Francisco cop who did a traffic stop on me in my '86 Jimmy was actually inquisitive about the scanner and thought it was cool. Let me go with a verbal:)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have had a scanner in all my primary vehicles since 1986 (except my 2016 Lexus RX350 has none because I don't want to muck it up with radios and antennas) starting with a Regency Turboscan 800 in an '86 Camaro and presently a RS Pro2066 in my truck. I have had cop buddies and they all were fine with it. Even a South San Francisco cop who did a traffic stop on me in my '86 Jimmy was actually inquisitive about the scanner and thought it was cool. Let me go with a verbal:)

First, there are probably some cops that wouldn't see a scanner if you put a strobe light on it.

Second, there are those who just don't care whether you have a scanner or not. Irrespective of state laws or local ordinances, they don't feel that it's that big a deal. It's one of those things they might use to "pencil whip" you by charging you with anything they can when they just don't like the way you look, for instance. It's in the same category as cracked taillights or tag decals in the wrong place. If they really want to cite you, they'll find something on the books.

By and large, I don't think most cops care whether you have one or not and may not know whether it legal or not.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I got stopped a couple years ago for speeding (before I got smart and got a radar detector..heh) and the officer asked me what I had a scanner for. I told him I liked to listen to the cops and ham radio with it (BC125AT). I then asked him why he asked me why I had a scanner. He told me that the only people he came across with a scanner were people trying to avoid him. LOL..

So, yeah. Some cops might have an apprehensive view on police scanners.

RADIOGUY2002

SSN'S

Most departments have adapted away from social numbers over the radio, that was a thing in the 90's. By 2000 it was over nextel or mdt's. By 2010 it was cop pdt for real time info with mdt backup / as a last result cell phone. In the cash strap departments its done over a secure channel that supports some type of encryption.

Mixed reviews on officers perceptions on scanners, I could careless what they think as long as you operate within the confines of the law. In my experience most officers who are realistic and have realistic goals seem to be okay with it, if not part of a group or ham themselves. Its the folks that don't understand it that seem to get bent out of shape about it or are out to prove something. I live an a area that supports encryption and have heard nothing but complaints from officers about it, but this day age their two cents don't mean anything to the bean counters. Oh and just to clarify I support encryption on tac channels, swat, intel that warrant such needs. The feeling is also support by the police officers that are friends.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.