• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Asking for a friend that wants to get in radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBobTerp

Hi
I’m asking for a friend because he wants to get into radios. He wants to know does he need a license to have one of these radios? Also he wants to know would he have to program them or Do they already come pre-programmed with the frequencies in the system itself so all we have to do is charge them turn them on and then he can use them? https://www.amazon.com/Retevis-Radios-3200mAh-Encryption-Talkies/dp/B07DFM8GLC

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The RT29 is not a FRS/GMRS radio these are part 90 UHF radios. To legally use them you be be granted a license for the frequencies which will need to be programmed by you or someone. The pre-programmed frequencies are test frequencies, not free for all frequencies. FRS radios must have fixed antennas.

Last edited:

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I reviewed that link, as well as the Retevis RT-29 user manual, and I was amazed at how little technical information is presented. The Amazon page suggests that the radios are UHF, but the Retvis manual suggests that they might actually be dual-band (VHF/UHF). There is no mention of what the frequencies might be, or even if they are pre-programmed or must be user- programmed.
Near the bottom of the Amazon page, there is a disclaimer regarding "wireless microphone" systems, as shown below. So.... I have no idea what to tell you. Strange!

Consumer Alert

Most users do not need a license to operate this wireless microphone system. Nevertheless, operating this microphone system without a license is subject to certain restrictions: the system may not cause harmful interference; it must operate at a low power level; and it has no protection from interference received from any other device. Purchasers should also be aware that the FCC is currently evaluating use of wireless microphone systems, and these rules are subject to change. For more information, call the FCC at 1-888- CALL-FCC (TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC) or visit the FCC’s wireless microphone website at Wireless Microphones.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi
I’m asking for a friend because he wants to get into radios.

We could probably offer some better suggestions if we knew what your friend meant by "get into radios". There's a lot of ways to get into radios, and it should never start off with picking a random radio and then trying to get licensed for it. That's a bass-ackwards way to do things. Your friend needs to figure out what he wants to use the radios for, and then license accordingly. These are NOT FRS radios and no matter how they get used, he will need a valid license issued by the Federal Communications Commission if he is located in the United States. There's no exception to those rules.

He wants to know does he need a license to have one of these radios?

He won't need a license to own one, but he will absolutely need a license to transmit with one.

Also he wants to know would he have to program them or Do they already come pre-programmed with the frequencies in the system itself so all we have to do is charge them turn them on and then he can use them?

As stated above, these may come loaded with some test frequencies from the factory. Those frequencies are not license free. They are just random channels that are loaded in the radio to allow testing as they move down the assembly line. It's entirely possible that those frequencies may belong to a public safety agency in your area, and using those radios will cause harmful interference to their operations. That puts first responder lives at risk.
If your friend does get properly licensed by the FCC, these radios could be programmed for use in the amateur radio band. They do not meet the requirements for FRS, and they do not appear to have the necessary type certification for GMRS.

A couple of big red flags here:
-Radios sold on Amazon.
-Very minimal information about what the specifications are on the radio.
-Do not meet the requirements for FRS or GMRS. May have type certification for FCC Part 90, but I'm not 100% sure.
-Encryption is -not- legal to use on FRS, GMRS and in most cases, amateur radio.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I would have my "friend" join Radio Reference so no answers get lost translation and he/she doesn't have to keep asking you to ask someone else and then wait for them to answer you and relay to him/her.

But from the looks of your other posts your friend wants to do the exact same thing you're asking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.