• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Asking for a little help with CLP1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

lendaddy

I'm sure this is one of the least sexy topics on here, but I'm going crazy with this. I work for a company that has several frequencies registered through the FCC for our multi-building factory complex. I was issued a gigantic radio to wear/use and it's always getting caught on things.

I saw the tiny CLP series in an ad one night so I ordered it thinking it would be a great fit. When I got it I realized I had to upload our frequencies so I ordered the programming cable and the installed the Motorola CPS software. Well now I can't find where in the software to enter my custom frequency. I can pick from 90 or factory installed frequencies but I can't see any custom options. Can anyone help? It would be much appreciated as I'm going nuts here :)

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to say but that's all that can be done with those limited radios. What radio do you have that you consider too big? Perhaps we can offer an alternative that'll work better.

lendaddy

Ugh, that's terrible new but I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I can't even send this thing off for reprogramming? Even the literature says it supports custom frequencies though...

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
No problem. By custom it really means from the list of 90 predefined frequencies. I believe they can be set up to use a repeater but only if the input and output fall on one of those freqs.

lendaddy

No problem. By custom it really means from the list of 90 predefined frequencies. I believe they can be set up to use a repeater but only if the input and output fall on one of the those freqs.

At this point I'm $300 plus into this ordeal... how much would a repeater set me back?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
A repeater is infrastructure, used to extend usable range. A proper one with all necessary equipment costs several thousand dollars and needs to be installed in a logical location. Your employer might already have one or more since you said it's a large industrial area and you use Kenwood TK-360s.

lendaddy

It sounds like I'm in a bad spot.What really upsets me is that I actually called Motorola Solutions support and he assured me I could setup custom frequencies. Ughh...I should have learned during my municipal experience with Motorola Solutions not to trust them.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it can be programmed with a custom frequency but you have to remove one of the existing frequencies. Call Motorola and they can create a custom file for your particular frequency. Our shop does it all the time. Not sure if they will send it to an individual. You may have to go through a Motorola shop.

lendaddy

Yes, it can be programmed with a custom frequency but you have to remove one of the existing frequencies. Call Motorola and they can create a custom file for your particular frequency. Our shop does it all the time. Not sure if they will send it to an individual. You may have to go through a Motorola shop.

Great news, thx. I will look into that!!!

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Ah, that would be very good. I wonder why they'd make it so difficult though when most of their other radios are simply programmed with simple CPS. Not very flexible.

lendaddy

I have yet to hear back from Motorola (never have had great luck there). You had mentioned that your shop does this type of thing and I'm not sure if you mean your personal shop or a shop that you use. Either way, would you/they be willing to help me with this file? I would gladly pay a fee/make a donation. Thanks much!

lendaddy

Quick update, I just got off the phone with CPS support at Motorola. They were fantastic, took my info and e-mailed me my file in 5 minutes. Programmed like a dream... very impressed. I take back my earlier Motorola comments regarding support, well almost :)

Thanks to you guys as well, I was about ready to give up. Much appreciated !!!!

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad it worked out for you and I've learned something about those radios that I didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.