ASP UID Question

wb0wao

Is there a way to differentiate between mobile and portable UID's. For example I have monitored C 47 with a UID of 4500171 as well as with a UID of 4501010. These hits were only a few minutes apart, so it wasn't an issue of switching vehicles. C47 was dealing with the same call at the time. The values are pretty close, so I am confused a bit. Any insight would be appreciated.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Actually, this was just posted in another thread like 10 minutes ago.

Also in the wiki you can find that some uid's or an explanation on how to decode the uid to come up the unit number. In my area, Lancaster County PA comes to mind. On their wiki page is an explanation on what each number in the uid stands for.

Look up your system in the wiki and see if anything pertains to you. Otherwise, its just keep listening and see what you can find out. Usually a mobile units radio should be quiet with little to no background noise while a portable may have outdoor noise heard during transmissions.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to differentiate between mobile and portable UID's. For example I have monitored C 47 with a UID of 4500171 as well as with a UID of 4501010. These hits were only a few minutes apart, so it wasn't an issue of switching vehicles. C47 was dealing with the same call at the time. The values are pretty close, so I am confused a bit. Any insight would be appreciated.
There is no way, other than monitoring and making good guesses, what radio is mobile or portable. It is a process that takes time listening and logging. Unfortunately the wiki does not have good info on UIDs for that system.

Magnetsteve

There is no differentiating between mobile and portable ID's with ASP. Most of the 7 digit ID's start with 450**** but there are some of the older radios that start with 100****. It just varies based on the radio age (when the ID was issued). That ID stays with that serial number/radio so if a radio/car is turned in and goes to another troop, the console alias is changed with AWIN to display the correct unit ID in the Communications center console. Almost all ASP console ID's start with 947****

On that note, I do believe counties are issued certain blocks of ID's, for example, almost all AWIN radios in Garland county start with 470****.

Recently, due to the amount of radios on the system, I have noticed they have moved to an 8 digit ID scheme. Most starting with 145***** (that I have noticed).

@dave3825 makes a VERY valid point. You can usually tell by the sound/background noise if its mobile or portable.

wb0wao

Was hoping that there would be an easier way, but oh well ... Thanx for the info, figured that it would boil down to that.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
What radio are you using?

I typically log calls during the week and spend time on the weekend listening & sorting thru to compile a list. Some ASP units in Troop B have 3 RID's associated. AGFC is just as bad.

I use Pro96Com to log activity & create a spreadsheet with a list of RID's associated with a TGID, then listen to the files on the SD card and compare RID's. I have over a hundred or so RID's verified and more to be double checked.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
The laptops in the units - how do they receive data?

D Is it via AVIN over a radio connection or via FirstNet (&) LTE/5GC?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Mobile Data is via aircards, but they can use FIrstNET LTE. There is integration of data for the APX radios, along with AVL using both the radio or the MDT. If the trooper goes out of AWIN range the data is still working most of the time. There are a few dead spots, no system has perfect coverage no matter what they advertise. The data antenna will be either an GPS style puck, or a shark fin style for the MDT. They may go with full data integration in AWIN once the full system is finished with the update to TDMA system wide. I know we have full integration here on SAFE-T, with FirstNET being actually part of the system now. They are still testing the new capabilities of the statewide data.