Assessing value of my pro-668

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monoxide16

I purchased this scanner about a year ago, but it's been a bad experience because the digital systems never come in right. Compared to my pro-96 and pro-106 this scanner has been a big disappointment. Conventional, analog, and EDACS all work great. Also as a lot of you guys have mentioned, the battery life sucks. On ebay I have seen these go for around 200-250 used, but I'm wondering what could be a fair price range for my scanner given the digital system problems I keep having. I could use the money towards upgrading my new BCD436HP to the DMR and Pro-voice systems.

P.S. if anyone would like to help me with installing and using the sentinel computer software for my new uniden scanner that would be great as well, since it's quite the learning curve from my radioshack scanners.

Thanks guys

DJ11DLN

Are you running the factory firmware? My 668 was downright disappointing and I came close to unloading it several times. Eric's GREFWTool and WS-1080 firmware brought it to life. And with Whistler offering a legitimate form of this as an upgrade for $60 starting 6/1, that option won't "go away." Just some food for thought, since several on here have agreed that the 668 factory firmware was pretty awful. My other scanners, including a Pro-18, left it in the dust. Now, thankfully, it's working great.

Monoxide16

Hey thanks a lot for the reply. I'll be sure to check that out come June 1.

Also, I just downloaded the sentinel software for my BCD436HP and am wondering if anyone knows when Uniden will release the DMR update for free in the main database?

DJ11DLN

Hey thanks a lot for the reply. I'll be sure to check that out come June 1.
Eric's mod is still up if you want to install it and evaluate before spending your money. It made a dramatic difference on my 668, both on the conventional stuff and the statewide 800 TSYS here. It's fully as good as my WS-1098 and even catches a few things that the Whistler misses...but not much.

Also, I just downloaded the sentinel software for my BCD436HP and am wondering if anyone knows when Uniden will release the DMR update for free in the main database?
Uniden charges for this update, as well as for the update to decode ProVoice, $60 IIRC...this applies to all of their scanners capable of decoding either protocol. I doubt that it will ever be "free."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.