Assistance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAN2010

We are publishers of local newspapers in southern Connecticut looking for advice. We cover 18 towns, but not all our editors live in those towns. Redding, Stratford and Monroe are available via itunes, but most of the other towns are not. Is there a way to set up a scanner to one a Mac so we can listen to the scanner remotely?
Thus allowing our out of town editors to be in touch with the towns they cover?

Currently we have two Radio Shack Pro-197 scanners.

If this is not doable are there folks out there who listen to scanners at night and would be willing to notify us should news occur, particularly nights and weekends?

Thank you in advance.

HarryWilly

You could always setup an online feed with the team here so other people could benefit from the scanner :D

The paging idea isn't bad, 1RWN does a really good job covering CT, but because it relies on volunteer dispatches, I am willing to bet coverage gets flaky during the night.

If you guys have a website, your webmaster might be able to help you setup a feed system similar to that used here to provide a private link to a feed, but it wouldn't be necessary to make it private.

Last but not least, you guys could get a copy of Win500 (or similar software). All the Starr soft programs are highly regarded, and anyone with a windows machine and privileges to access your work computers outside the network can monitor the scanner remotely. There is even a nifty Windows mobile client for those people with Windows Mobile phones Win500: PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control

Actually, 1rwn is flaky during the day at best. I have been a dispatcher for them in the past, and around may or so of 2009, A lot of their dispatchers for CT were let go for various reasons, and the company itself had some issues.

They have a great deal of Connecticut dispatchers, BUT, they only page about 2 primary calls (Fires/Accidents/Etc.) in Connecticut each day.

They also only page my 5 or 10 Secondary incidents (Traffic/etc.) in ct per day. IMOP, not a veryb reliable source for a newspaper, You'd be better off setting up a scanner in a high location with a ST4 Discone.

freightguy

Fairfield County Feeds

You may have a problem Houston! It doesn't look like there are many feeds available currently 4-5 at best. You may want to run something in your paper attracting scanner enthusiasts to band together, thus creating your needed network to supply the feeds, and you will be able to use them.

On the dark side, your competition will also be afforded the access to the same network of feeds. Shoot me a PrivateMessage, and I will send you a list of information as well as current feeds. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.