Assistance with Va. Beach Va. and Multi-site

Status
Not open for further replies.

bep

Premium Subscriber
I posted this in the Virginia forum and did not get the technical info I was expecting. This question is concerning Va. Beach, Va P25 ORION system (Overlay Regional InterOperability Network (ORION) Trunking System, Various, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies) but it is targeted at Multi-site issues. If I have placed this in the wrong forum my apologies

I have read that the issue listening to this type of system is that there are several sites broadcasting the same information and the scanner has a hard time discerning between the two. If this is correct I cannot seem to find where the "other" sites are. The info looks like the site is on top of Station 16. No others are listed. I am trying to get me head around this issue so I can again enjoy this hobby.

If there are other sites I am looking for the closest to me so I can aim my antenna. One response stated there was an second site that is much further away from me than the one listed.

Hopefully this is clear.

Thanks

dmg1969

You can find the information (along with a map showing the signal radius) by clicking on the system link and looking at the sites. Click on each site.

Site 1
System Name: Overlay Regional InterOperability Network (ORION)
Site Location: Various, Virginia
Site Number: Decimal: 001 / Hex: 1
Site NAC: N/A
Site Unique DB ID: 10044
Site Description: ORION
Site County Location: Virginia Beach
Site Neighbors: 103
Site Location: Multi-site Simulcast TRS
Site Modulation: CQPSK Phase 1
Site Notes: None
Latitude N 36.83036
Longitude W -76.095802
Range 5 Miles

Site 2
Site Number: Decimal: 002 / Hex: 2
Site Unique DB ID: 18147
Site Description: Virginia Beach P25
Site County Location: Virginia Beach
Site Neighbors: N/A
Site Location: N/A
Site Modulation: N/A
Latitude N 36.83036
Longitude W -76.095802
Range 5 Miles

Site 3
Site Number: Decimal: 003 / Hex: 3
Site Unique DB ID: 18155
Site Description: ORION/UASI
Site County Location: James City
Site Neighbors: 101
Site Location: N/A
Site Modulation: N/A
Latitude N 37.2334783
Longitude W -76.5496743
Range 15 Miles

bep

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply, and I learned something.
However my reception is poor but at the same time showing full bars signal strength. I was told it is a multi-site issue where the scanner is receiving the same information from two or more sites. I am no where near site 3 and site 1 and 2 are from the same location. I am not in the circle, but the strip of land under the word map in the picture top right.
So how is this interference from two sites when technically there is only one?

Just trying to get this right.
Thanks

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
However my reception is poor but at the same time showing full bars signal strength.

This could be caused by "multipath" distortion. This happens when a signal from a transmitter hit some large object which reflects the signal in your direction. Thus you get two signals, one direct from the transmitter and one reflected and delayed. Since the two signals are not coincident in time they will cause interference. The solution is to use a highly directional antenna.

Another cause could be simple front end overload. If a signal is strong enough it can overload the front end of your receiver and cause poor signal quality. Most scanners have an attenuator setting that will reduce the radio's sensitivity and help. Try it and if it works, there's your problem.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Well I do know if I set the attenuator on I receive nothing. I compare that with my second scanner. So I am not getting too much of a good thing.

I cannot think of anything that would be large enough to bounce the signal, but that is not saying it is not there.

Somedays good somedays poor.

Thanks

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Assuming that you are listening to Site #2 (Virginia Beach P25), then the FCC shows a license for that system under WNAU439 (VIRGINIA BEACH, CITY OF). The license shows that frequencies for the trunked radio system is licensed for 6 different locations with addresses of these locations listed in the license.

As for question of how it is possible to have multiple sites when there is only one, a trunked radio system has the possibility of having multiple towers share the same frequencies that broadcast the same information nearly instantaneously. For the system, it sees it as a single wide coverage site. If you live on the fringe of the coverage area, then it is possible that the system is not optimally setup for that location and will therefore cause multipathing due to the timing of the radio signals from different towers.

If you are living in the far northeastern area of coverage for the site and have some type of directional antenna, then aiming it at the Station 16 site (Location #1) is probably not the best option as you'll also receive signals from the site behind it (Location #5). Aiming your antenna at Location #3 or #4 might help with the multipathing.

bep

Premium Subscriber
THANK YOU Spitfire. THAT is what I was hoping to find. Not sure exactly where that linked page actually is located, but I will find it.
It back to the roof this weekend and aim it a little more in a known direction.

Thanks again

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Not sure exactly where that linked page actually is located, but I will find it.

No problem. I don't think you'll end up finding where the license information is located because typically it should be found under the individual site information under Site FCC Licenses (same page with the radius map). It currently shows None Assigned. Whoever created the site entry for the database failed to associate the license to that site (it's possible that it's not properly broadcasting a CWID) so the only way to find the license is to take one of the frequencies and use the Search FCC Licenses By State under Search FCC Data in the RadioReference Database.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Again thank you for taking the time to educate me, and hopefully others. Gosh I wish I could get to the roof tonight.

Oh well

bep

Premium Subscriber
An update for you. Got on the roof yesterday and "pointed" my Scantenna toward one site. The rotation was possibly only 1 inch, but has made considerable difference, in the positive. I do know I have to get a longer mast, since I am hitting a gable peak, and height is never a bad issue. Need a second set of hands for that project. But, it is good to know that there is promise in getting better reception.
Tomorrow I am going to see what I have "lost" with my conventional frequencies, after aiming the Scantenna away from it original position.

Status
Not open for further replies.