Astatic 4" External Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Astatic 4" External Speaker (y)

I've been using my new Uniden SDS200 scanner for a little over a week now and it's awesome. For now I have it sitting in the mobile mount on my desk in my office. The internal speaker works well but I've always preferred external speakers on any radio. So I ordered a Astatic 4" external speaker from Scanner Master for only $14.95 and it's great! It's very similar to the Radio Shack external speakers that we've all been using and loving for years. I didn't use the mounting bracket but instead used small rubber feet on all four corners and that prevents it from sliding around on my desk, it's very stable too. I don't think you'll find too many that can compete with it especialy at this price point, highly recommended!

spacellamaman

is the actual sound level potential significantly louder or is the audio quality better, or both?

i am on a perpetual quest to find a, preferably non-powered, speaker that allows me to hear under adverse conditions, such as 80mph with both windows down or say 50ft away in field with semi-rural ambient sound levels, that sort of thing.

the astatic i believe is no-powered correct?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
is the actual sound level potential significantly louder or is the audio quality better, or both?

i am on a perpetual quest to find a, preferably non-powered, speaker that allows me to hear under adverse conditions, such as 80mph with both windows down or say 50ft away in field with semi-rural ambient sound levels, that sort of thing.

the astatic i believe is no-powered correct?

The built in down-firing speakers in any radio is not a good design, especially if the radio is only off the desk by less than an inch. Even when mounted in a vehicle that often necessitates that scenario it's probably the worst position you could choose. An external speaker offers a lot of mounting flexibility so even if the speaker itself isn't any better it will definitely perform better if it's facing you unobstructed. The non-amplified Astatic speaker sounds very loud and clear, however I think your requirements would definitely require an amplified speaker.

spacellamaman

The built in down-firing speakers in any radio is not a good design, especially if the radio is only off the desk by less than an inch. Even when mounted in a vehicle that often necessitates that scenario it's probably the worst position you could choose. An external speaker offers a lot of mounting flexibility so even if the speaker itself isn't any better it will definitely perform better if it's facing you unobstructed. The non-amplified Astatic speaker sounds very loud and clear, however I think your requirements would definitely require an amplified speaker.

i certainly agree about directionality, which brings me to inquire about the term "down-firing", could you explain perhaps? do you mean Mobile or Handheld as well? i may actually be mis-interpreting altogether.

thanks for the info. so far amplified options have been the only workable options but finding one that doesn't have noisy circuitry and/or other issues has been a time-consuuming and expensive project.

the best ones i have found, i am so satisfied with them, that i continue to use headphone/shooter earmuffs.... got a superb speaker collection though, collecting dust.

are they angled in handhelds to some degree?
In a handheld, the sound is directed by the openings in the case.

In a mobile, the speaker is sometimes mounted on the bottom of the chassis and the sound comes out the grate.

If you look at the openings in the external speaker above - the holes will direct the sound to come straight out where the speaker is "aimed"

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
If the Astatic works for you, great. That's most important. However, the best extension speakers are the ones made by Motorola. You can usually find them on eBay with a 3.5mm plug for a scanner or ham radio (or you can make your own with bare wire). Handheld scanners have circuitry to not turn the audio up too loud on the headphone jack so you don't blow out your ears, so a passive speaker won't do much.

Status
Not open for further replies.