• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astatic 636L

Status
Not open for further replies.

NESN

I use one in my work truck. The stock mic on my Uniden PC78 LTW lasted one year. IMO, the Astatic is beefier, has a longer cord and cuts out all the background noise, engine, gears, tire sing, wind from open windows, even the stereo in the background and has lasted 2+ years so far. I think I paid about $35.00 on Amazon. HTH.

NESN

Remember the stock mic was failing so it was a night and day improvement. Even with my stereo going and the window down, I've never had someone ask to repeat myself and when I do ask, I'm always told it's loud and clear. BTW, stock radio, 9' of coax and a Wilson 2000 antenna'......nothing fancy.

scraech

I use one with my Galaxy but I only use this Mic with the talk back on. Cuts out back round noises and ankle biters in the back seats. I like the Astic 575 it is a power Mic and has great voice pick up.

sdeeter19555

I have one in the daily driver, they are a decent mic for the $$. They don't tend to have the noise cancelling of say a RK56, but they do get the job done. I've owned mine for better than ten years, never had any issues.

One thing I'll point out is that each mic will sound different on a different radio...a 636L on a Galaxy might sound great, but put that on a Connex and it might not sound as good. I run this 636L on a PC76, I originally bought it because it sounded good on a Connex 4600T that I later traded off. I tried it on a Galaxy 959 and it sounded almost crunchy for lack of a better term.

Status
Not open for further replies.