Astoria area NPS and Coast Guard frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SloScanMan_01

Hello, all! I will be staying in the Astoria area next week, and was wondering if anyone knew which CG VHF or UHF LMR channels might be in use by the Coast Guard boats in Astoria and helos from CGAS Astoria? Also, I am looking for frequencies used by National Park rangers at Lewis & Clark National Historic Park. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure about NPS but USCG does use P25 in addition to marine 16 and 21. USCG P25 channel assignments vary along the coast so I would suggest to program all of the USCG P25 freqs into your radio if possible.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
And try searching the VHF fed. band in the 160/170 MHz range for NPS -- and they might be P25. If there's any LE rangers at the site (and it appears there might be; see below), they probably come up on Clatsop County SO channel as needed for radio traffic.

Excerpt from NPS administrative history on Fort Clatsop NM:
Fort Clatsop NMem: Administrative History (Chapter 6)

"Visitor Protection And Safety

Since the memorial is a day-use park and is relatively small in size, law enforcement has not been given management emphasis. During the planning phase of the memorial, NPS administrators concluded that having staff live on-site would be necessary for law enforcement purposes due to its rural location outside of Astoria and Warrenton city limits. Two employee residences were established. One house was purchased through land acquisition for the memorial's establishment and is classified as building #1. The second, classified as building #3, was built by the Park Service during site development. [4] Law enforcement concerns at the memorial have historically centered around theft of replica items, trespassing (by people and neighboring farm animals), burglary of visitor cars, vandalism, speeding on Fort Clatsop Loop Road, mushroom picking, and poaching.

The reforestation program created its own problem during the Christmas holiday season. When young trees were transplanted along the county road and the trees ranged around four to five feet in height, the occasional tree would be cut illegally and become someone's Christmas tree. [5]

Aside from examples such as the night patrols conducted by Superintendent Thomson, law enforcement patrols have not been consistently conducted at the memorial. Memorial staff relied on Clatsop County authorities in handling violations. Case incident reports have not always been consistently utilized for reporting violations. The lack of documentation for violations at the memorial between 1958 and 1990 has resulted in a lack of understanding of what the memorial's true law enforcement needs are.

Since 1988, there has been an increase in drug paraphernalia found along Fort Clatsop Loop Road. [6] Incidents of apparent ritual animal killings have also surfaced at the memorial in the last few years. [7] The memorial consults with the Oregon State Police Game Division regarding poaching and the memorial has also coordinated with the U.S. Coast Guard for use of their helicopter for aerial patrols. [8] Theft, trespassing, and vandalism continue to be law enforcement worries. As part of resource management program development, a park ranger position for law enforcement management needs was filled in 1992. As regular, consistent patrols occur, a clearer picture of the memorial's law enforcement needs will develop. [9]

The memorial updated its Memorandum of Agreement with the Clatsop County Sheriff's Department for assistance with law enforcement and radio frequency use in 1992. The memorial law enforcement ranger, was deputized by the Clatsop County sheriff. Agreements for radio frequency use were developed and executed with the Astoria City Police, the U.S. Coast Guard, and the Oregon Department of Forestry. [10] The law enforcement ranger has developed contacts and mutually beneficial relationships with various other local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies in the Clatsop County area."

ecps92

United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki

Hello, all! I will be staying in the Astoria area next week, and was wondering if anyone knew which CG VHF or UHF LMR channels might be in use by the Coast Guard boats in Astoria and helos from CGAS Astoria? Also, I am looking for frequencies used by National Park rangers at Lewis & Clark National Historic Park. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

I can't offer any advice on the frequencies, but I can offer some advice on the Astoria area, spent quite a bit of time up that way.
- Make sure you visit the Lewis and Clark interpretive center located near Ilwaco on the Washington side. Not only is it interesting and educational, it's got a great view of the bar and the area the motor lifeboat crews like to play.
- Fort George Brewery/Public House in Astoria is worth it if you enjoy the occasional beer. If you don't, they still have good food. -Fort George Quick Wit is my personal favorite.
- Bridgewater Bistro under the bridge. I always stop here for dinner whenever I'm in Astoria. Make sure you check out the glass floor near the bar/fireplace.
- Columbia River Maritime Museum. Worth the price of admission. Be sure to tour the old lightship moored up outside.
- Englund Marine and Industrial Supply store down on the waterfront is an interesting store. Lots of marine electronics. Good place to stop if you enjoy wandering around hardware stores.

I always look forward to when my travels take me through that part of Oregon. Enjoy your trip!

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
- Bridgewater Bistro under the bridge. I always stop here for dinner whenever I'm in Astoria. Make sure you check out the glass floor near the bar/fireplace.

Seconded! Excellent food (and views from your table) there... :)

Also, Bowpicker's (across from the maritime museum) has great fish & chips, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.