Astro 111 Radio - For Trenton ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRIAN99

Hello:
I noticed a ASTRO 111 Radio on EBAY that covers the 800 meg band. Does anyone Know if this will be capable of receiving Trenton? It is a large investment and I do not want to make a mistake.
Thank You,
Brian

SCANdal

Silent Key

There are many issues at play here before we get to your specific question. First of all, it should be an Astro Saber III, not a one hundred eleven. If the current owner is offering for auction a 111, then I have my doubts as to whether or not he's the actual owner.

Next, how do you plan on getting it programmed? You're worried about the initial outlay for the hardware...you mustn't forget to budget for expenses after purchase relating to getting the radio programmed with Trenton's frequencies (unless you already have your own software...).

Now on to your question...I understand that Trenton is using an older version of the digital mode of transmission - something called VSLEP. Without having a link available to the exact radio being auctioned, my initial impression is that the radio is NOT VSLEP capable and would only be helpful to you if you are involved in any way with public safety and would like to access the national 800 MHz ICall and ITac channels...a hefty price to pay for a conventional radio.

SCANdal

Joseph11

Please note that it's "VSELP" (Vector Sum Excited Linear Prediction), not "VSLEP".

hulka

Why wouldn't he be the actual owner? Maybe not for that price, but when the big "M" came out with the "XTS series" a lot of people started to unload their radios for these. They also stopped supporting the Astro Saber and Saber radio series, which could mean a reason to sell it. Personaly a scanner is a lot cheaper and easier. you can monitor a whole lot of stuff compared to a certain band.

Status
Not open for further replies.