• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro 25/ Mototrbo Cable Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

trafficcop608

Recently I am having an identical problem with two of my laptops. I have a Dell and Toughbook Cf30 both running Windows 10. Both Astro 25 mobile and Mototrbo are also running in compatibility mode. When I try to read using the Mototrbo software on a mobile I am getting an error 1687. On the Astro 25 mobile I am getting error context 24.

I uninstalled all applications, rebooted and reinstalled the applications. When plugging in the cable I do receive a sound from the pc(s) but when I look at the device in the device manager it shows up as just intel device but does not show up as a Mototrbo modem as I believe it did before. I was able to change the comm port to usb in the xtl software and the radio read. It still would not read under comm port 3 or 4. I have another software for the Xtl series but it does not give me an option for comm port usb.

I have a friend that is experiencing a similar issue recently with his Trbo cps as well. I suspect that maybe Microsoft has pushed some sort of update since everything worked okay some time ago.

I went into the driver folder on Mototrbo and installed the exe file from the file explorer. Still no luck..

any ideas? Thank you in advance

Screenshots of errors

Attachments

• 013470D8-2E7A-4CD0-BFC0-B0AD65C5115A.jpeg
    013470D8-2E7A-4CD0-BFC0-B0AD65C5115A.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 15
  • CD5D7777-4AB4-45B6-9C8C-6098C715A91A.jpeg
    CD5D7777-4AB4-45B6-9C8C-6098C715A91A.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 15

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I assume this is all valid software purchased from MSI ? As said both will work on W10 with no need for compatibility. Just did a XTL this week with no issues. Been a few weeks since I've touched a Trbo radio but worked fine last time.

trafficcop608

Why you running in compatibility mode? Both will work under w10.
Yes

I assume this is all valid software purchased from MSI ? As said both will work on W10 with no need for compatibility. Just did a XTL this week with no issues. Been a few weeks since I've touched a Trbo radio but worked fine last time.
Yes

As I explained, both of these worked fine a few months ago. I then recently tried to use it and found it didn’t work. I suspect Microsoft pushed some sort of update that had mucked it up

trafficcop608

Why you running in compatibility mode? Both will work under w10.
I ran both without compatibility mode and worked fine some time ago. I saw a thread that said to try and run it in compatibility so I figured I had nothing to loose by trying.

trafficcop608

** Update- Still need some help **

On 1/23/22 I posted the below: Recently I am having an identical problem with two of my laptops. I have a Dell and Toughbook Cf30 both running Windows 10. Both Astro 25 mobile and Mototrbo are also running in compatibility mode. When I try to read using the Mototrbo software on a mobile I am getting an error 1687. On the Astro 25 mobile I am getting error context 24.

I uninstalled all applications, rebooted and reinstalled the applications. When plugging in the cable I do receive a sound from the pc(s) but when I look at the device in the device manager it shows up as just intel device but does not show up as a Mototrbo modem as I believe it did before. I was able to change the comm port to usb in the xtl software and the radio read. It still would not read under comm port 3 or 4. I have another software for the Xtl series but it does not give me an option for comm port usb.

I have a friend that is experiencing a similar issue recently with his Trbo cps as well. I suspect that maybe Microsoft has pushed some sort of update since everything worked okay some time ago.

I went into the driver folder on Mototrbo and installed the exe file from the file explorer. Still no luck..

any ideas? Thank you in advance

Update: since posting this I have found several potential issues. So just to be clear, here is what is going on.

A couple of months ago all CPS was working fine for at least a couple of years before these issues arose.

2 separate laptops

3 Xpr/Xtl mobile USB cables (2 aftermarket, 1 Oem.)

Both laptops again all of a sudden would ready anything.

I removed both Mototrbo 16.0 and Astro CPS 21 off of both laptops. Restarted and reinstalled. No change.

I removed the cable within the device manager and inserted it again to cause it to reinstall. No luck

I then forced the cable to update driver via windows update. And walla, update 2022-01 for the .NET system came up. I allowed it to install and rebooted the laptop.

Upon the restart the Xpr read and wrote just fine. I went to read the Ctl with CPS and same fail to read message using the com port from device manager. I tried the other ports and when I tried USB as the port the Xtl read and wrote successfully.

Here is another problem. I have another utility for Xtl that I am trying to use. When I open that program, Usb is not listed in the comport pull down. I tried the two listed with no luck.

I then change the exe of that utility to compatibility mode under windows 7. When I do that Usb shows up under the com port. When I attempt to flash a radio the radio restarts to the update mode, but then fails and cannot communicate after the initial off and back on. When everything was working before a com port was always used not a USB.

How do I fix this? The second laptop is doing the exact same thing. I really suspect Win 10 pushed something that is conflicting. I know others who are also have similar capabilities.

Again, please read all the steps I have already taken. Something is not configured correctly somewhere and I can’t figure out where.

Any assistance is appreciated, thank you, Jamie Isaacs

Attachments

• 11F5E011-84BA-4FE3-915B-6CAE54321D3A.jpeg
    11F5E011-84BA-4FE3-915B-6CAE54321D3A.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 5

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
This is why I'm staying with windows 7; I don't have any problems with the programs I currently use, unless they introduce a sophisticated linux-style command line I have no interest in "upgrading", if that's what you want to call it...

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Does your cable show up under the device manager?

I am not having any issues on Windows 10 with Mototrbo CPS 16 & 2 and Astro Portable CPS R20.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the correct driver is being "updated" to a "better" driver through Microsofts eyes. I would disconnect from your network to prevent an automatic update. Delete the current driver that is showing up in device manager. Install the software over again which should include the correct driver. Then if that works I would use a group policy to block that specific piece of hardware from updates. Then you can connect back to your network after it's blocked.

I had the same issue with a sound driver on a brand new computer a couple months ago. The oem driver from the manufacturers website worked fine. But as soon as I rebooted and updates were applied it would upgrade to a new driver that did not work. I eventually had to do the steps above which resolved it for me. Here's a good writeup on disabling specific hardware from updates

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Sounds like the correct driver is being "updated" to a "better" driver through Microsofts eyes. I would disconnect from your network to prevent an automatic update. Delete the current driver that is showing up in device manager. Install the software over again which should include the correct driver. Then if that works I would use a group policy to block that specific piece of hardware from updates. Then you can connect back to your network after it's blocked.

I had the same issue with Motorola and Harris drivers on Windoze 10; automatic updates from Micro$oft were replacing them. After two straight weeks of heading out into the field to program radios only to find that my drivers had been replaced, I told the Data Center I would stick with Windows 7.

They didn't like it, but they were also unwilling to create a special group policy just for me and my assistant to prevent Micro$oft overwriting our radio drivers; I gave them the choice and they elected to alllow us to continue with Windows 7. Since I use a Mac for office-type stuff and don't use Windoze for email or web browsing it worked out fine and continues to do so to this day.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
This is why I'm staying with windows 7; I don't have any problems with the programs I currently use, unless they introduce a sophisticated linux-style command line I have no interest in "upgrading", if that's what you want to call it...
I had the same issue with Motorola and Harris drivers on Windoze 10; automatic updates from Micro$oft were replacing them. After two straight weeks of heading out into the field to program radios only to find that my drivers had been replaced, I told the Data Center I would stick with Windows 7.

They didn't like it, but they were also unwilling to create a special group policy just for me and my assistant to prevent Micro$oft overwriting our radio drivers; I gave them the choice and they elected to alllow us to continue with Windows 7. Since I use a Mac for office-type stuff and don't use Windoze for email or web browsing it worked out fine and continues to do so to this day.

We know everyone loves windows 7 and hates change but OP is asking about problems specifically with windows 10. Telling him how great windows 7 was isn't helping solve the problem. I like many have chose to use a modern operating system with modern support and security updates. Having done so we occasionally come across the issues that OP is having. Mototrbo and Astro25 will work on windows 10 just fine. I'm just trying to help the OP.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
What cables are you using? I have not had a single problem on W10 with the bluemax49ers cables, both direct to USB (no converters/2 piece).

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
We know everyone loves windows 7 and hates change but OP is asking about problems specifically with windows 10. Telling him how great windows 7 was isn't helping solve the problem. I like many have chose to use a modern operating system with modern support and security updates. Having done so we occasionally come across the issues that OP is having. Mototrbo and Astro25 will work on windows 10 just fine. I'm just trying to help the OP.

Understood, but it's not an issue of hating change, it's an issue of reliability. Getting things working under Win10 would be fine; the problem is that once you get Win10 set right, Micro$oft changes things up, and you're back to Square 1. I believe this is where the OP is... it once worked, M$ has changed things up without warning, and now it doesn't work.

For those of us in the mission-critical arena, having M$ change things up without warning just before you have to head out in the field (especially in an emergency situation) is absolutely unacceptable; therefore, setting up a more reliable OS that won't change things up like Win10 is apt to do is an option the OP should at least consider, and one which we have presented for consideration.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Understood, but it's not an issue of hating change, it's an issue of reliability. Getting things working under Win10 would be fine; the problem is that once you get Win10 set right, Micro$oft changes things up, and you're back to Square 1. I believe this is where the OP is... it once worked, M$ has changed things up without warning, and now it doesn't work.

For those of us in the mission-critical arena, having M$ change things up without warning just before you have to head out in the field (especially in an emergency situation) is absolutely unacceptable; therefore, setting up a more reliable OS that won't change things up like Win10 is apt to do is an option the OP should at least consider, and one which we have presented for consideration.

I might also add that the OP has done everything I did when I had a similar issue, and while reloading CPS fixed the issue for me (until a week later when M$ pushed out another update), he's still having a problem. If these are work laptops it's probably time to get the IT department involved. if they're personal laptops it's probably time to try setting up Win7 on another partition so as to avoid potentially making things worse for Win10.

merlin

I have the same issue with just one particular radio. I doubt it is software or PC related.
5 different XTLs, 4 work just fine. the 5th throws the error 80004005.
Did you make any hardware changes to the radio that need support with CPS ?
Did you do any upgrade to the radio in the interim ?
When working, is OTAP enabled in the radio ?
My problem radio is the high power UHF with 05 control head setup.
I have a W7 setup in the works, so I won't know more until that is completed.
73s

merlin

Addendum: My dot net has been thesame version as the OPs update. I have no issues with Mototurbo or Patmobi.
Latest update for Win 10.
I have 2 machines, Win 10 and XP pro. using USB OR RS232 programming cables.
The results are just the same.
Just with the one odd radio.

trafficcop608

I have a CF19 with Win7 on it. Astro25 CPS works fine when using usb for the port. When I use depot, I can read the radio with the usb set as a port. The problem occurs when trying to flash upgrade the firmware. When the radio reboots in flashzap the usb configured port will not communicate with it, it’s looking for a regular comport.

merlin

The radios default to RS232, so the flashzap is also reverting to defaults.
Use an RS232 programming cable.
Set your port to that the cable is connected and power cycle the radio.
(Are you thinking of 'Flashport') ?

trafficcop608

The USB Cable still cannot be recognized in the USB Mode Selection in the port setting. However both applications are working correctly. I would rather have my choice of assigning the cable to USB or another COM Port but it is what it is. I did have to manually push a security update 2022-01 for WIN 10 concerning .NET. I suspect Microsoft is behind what's is going on. Thank you all for your help. Please close.

Status
Not open for further replies.