• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro 25 Portable CPS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I have Astro Portable 25 CPS but "I Heard" it will not write to the radio XTS3000 or 5000 using Windows 10.
Will Windows 7 work?
Is this true? Can a Motorola tech expert please confirm, before I purchase the OEM programming cable.
Thanks
Jim
KO9JAD

toolman60

Astro 25 Portable CPS will read/write an XTS 5000. The XTS 3000 is a black sheep and use a different CPS. And Win 7 will work.

tyler3328

Astro25 will work on windows 10 with no problems. XTS3000 requires different CPS and i use DOS computer for the old stuff like the 3000.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Windows XP with a true serial cable works well for the XTS3000 too. Some older radios can be damaged because the system speed of a newer computer uploads too fast for the radio to properly process.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Most of the older Motorola programming software will work OK on an older PC, running a 32-bit OS with a true serial port. Once you add a much faster machine, a 64-bit OS, or a USB programming cable to the mix, the software starts to get picky. Depending on the individual circumstances, it might work or it might not (but usually not!).

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Astro 25 Portable CPS will read/write an XTS 5000. The XTS 3000 is a black sheep and use a different CPS. And Win 7 will work.
The XTS3000 is not a black sheep.. It was the previous generation of Astro radios along with the Astro Saber. The XTS3500 was a short lived model between the 3000 and 5000 that used DOS Software very similar to MTSX RSS FDNY and Some Federal agencies used them for while. I had both a VHF and a UHF R2 450-520 at one time

mbnv992

I was gonna say, black sheep models are the XTS3500 and Saber SI’s haha

K2NEC

Don't overlook the XTS2500, its the latest and last of that series and unless you need a vehicle adapter it does just about everything a 5000 does in a smaller package.
I'll take a 2500 over a 5000 any day of the week. I swear by them.

Scott73

I'll take a 2500 over a 5000 any day of the week. I swear by them.
Agreed. I have 3 of them and they are great. I did have one small issue with one where the display would show upside down on occasion. A good whack would fix it but I decided to open it up and reseat the flex cables which fixed it. It would have looked strange to hold the radio upside down to see the display right side up!.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I've never been a fan of the 2500 .. It reminds me of a Waris HT1250 style on steroids. I never cared for the Waris line. I did have an XTS2500 Model II 7/800 for a while that did do the upside down and backwards display. I ended up selling it before the bottom dropped out on used 7/800 Phase I radios.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a xts5000 which I plan to use in NAS mode to monitor a SmartZone system for the next 2 years. I have APX cps and Waris cps, but no Astro 25 portable cps. Does MOL still offer Astro 25 cps for sale, or will I need to find another source for the software?

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a xts5000 which I plan to use in NAS mode to monitor a SmartZone system for the next 2 years. I have APX cps and Waris cps, but no Astro 25 portable cps. Does MOL still offer Astro 25 cps for sale, or will I need to find another source for the software?
ok ill be the one, it looks discontinued, and you will get your hand smacked for asking where to download it

maus92

Premium Subscriber
ok ill be the one, it looks discontinued, and you will get your hand smacked for asking where to download it
Nope, just making sure it was discontinued before wasting my time on MOL.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
You need more than just the CPS for NAS. I would suggest visiting the forums at Austech.info (specifically the communication devices forum, you will need to make an account).

Status
Not open for further replies.