• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ASTRO 7.x Site Alias'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Do true P25 systems have the ability to put out an alias like SmartZone systems do? The VIPER system in NC puts out a 6 character alias for each site that can be displayed on some scanners and radios.

I've never noticed anything on the sites I've monitored in NC & SC, and I don't see any listed for statewide systems in Colorado, Virginia, etc.

Does anyone know if these sites provide a means of identifying themselves on radios, and if so, how is that data transferred.

SCPD

QRT
Motorola P25 systems will do this. The text can be up to eight characters long. It is usually set to the FCC callsign but the administrator could set this to anything. I don't know if this text appears on the radio.

SCPD

QRT
It seems to be unique per site. It has a Motorola MfgId of 0x90. Run Unitrunker with decode logging to see all the details.

MattSR

I'm using wireshark with OP25 to look at the raw frames - I'll load up Unitrunker and Pro96com to have a look, but would you happen to know the TSBK opcodes for the command?

mikey60

I've seen a string on an CWID grant (Motorola specific), but I've never seen one anywhere else. Some scanner listeners have confirmed that the information being sent on the control channel in this grant is the same characters being transmitted in CW on that frequency.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
Its been a while but six or so years ago I was looking at a Motorola P25 system console. It was Windows 2000 I think (or maybe Windows Server 2003). The Motorola Zone Configuration manager screen provides a list of channels. Next to each channel was a check box for "BSI" and a place to enter a short text string. BSI is base station identification. It's the Morse code identifier Mikey describes.

In the US, system administrators typically check BSI on the channel with the lowest frequency. BSI channels are also usually held in reserve as are alternate control channels. These channels are only used for voice when all other voice channels are busy.

BTW, Matt - nice video presentation last month!

MattSR

Thanks Rick - t was kinda thrown together at the last minute but I never thought I could talk about the "known plaintext attack" for that long!

Status
Not open for further replies.