• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro consolette RCH3000 not passing audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
Radio all programmed up fine,Dip switches in digital junction box set and per manual,proper cables being used. RCH 3000 will change channels,volume up and down, zones too. Problem is no audio from the handset during TX and RX. I can hear the volume change in the handset and RCH3000 speaker but no audio if it receives radio transmission,. During TX no audio is passed out of the hand set either. Checked plugs and even changed out the handset. RCH3000 are new out of the box.

wgbecks

There's not enough information presented in your post to diagnose the problem. What are the model numbers of your digital junction box and radio? Are you using factory made cables? If so, post those model numbers, if how brew, post your wiring diagrams.

Bill

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
Cable from Digital box L3208A is DDN6333 to consolette, cable from RHC3000 Model PL3030A to digital box is home made and does work on a friends system. Consolette model number is L20KSS9P1WA1 FLASH 500080004802. Home brew cable is flat 8 wire phone cable 2ft long with 8 pin plugs the clip are opposite sides not a mirror cable.

wgbecks

I am not sure that I follow you on the RJ45 wiring (cable) connecting L3208A (J7) RCH port to the RCH3000 J2 connector. There must be a reversal of the conductors from one end to the other. Reference the connector pinouts below. If this is how it wired then the next step to troubleshooting would be to make an audio loopback for the RCH.

Tie J2-3 to J2-5 & J2-4 to J2-6. You should be able to key the handset and be able to hear yourself as a quick test of the audio circuits in the RCH3000. However, It would be better to insert a breakout the in the RJ45 link to enable scoping the audio leads with everything connected and powered up. A similar approach should be used to check the link (cable) between the L3208 and the consolette to look for the presence of audio on both transmit and receive signal paths.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
There is a reversal of the the plugs it is not a so called mirrored cable. I can key the radio up from the handset but no audio in or out of it, still checking. Thank you so far for the help. Will have to double check the programming of the RCH3000.

wgbecks

Is the cable from the Digital Spectra port of the L3208A plugged into Accessory-2 of the consolette?

The RCH3000 needs to be set to Astro, but I am assuming it's in that state already and the audio level option is set to the 80 mv.

I don't suspect anything in your codeplug is wrong, but it wouldn't hurt to double check, or post it hear for a look see.

Right now, an oscilloscope would be your best friend to quickly check the audio paths on both sides if the L3208A to verify if there is any receive audio getting out of the consolette and/or making it to the RCH3000.

wgbecks

A thought just occurred to me. I don't think the DDN6333 is the correct cable to join the L3208A to XTL5000 Mobile Consolette. If memory serves me correctly, the DDN6333 cable is straight through pin for pin, but the Accessory-2 connector pinouts are different between the Astro Spectra Consolette that used the DDN6333 and an XTL5000 Mobile Consolette.

You'd have to compare the Accessory-2 pinout between the two consolette's against the pinout of the Digital Spectra port of the L3208A to be sure.

Bill

wgbecks

A thought just occurred to me. I don't think the DDN6333 is the correct cable to join the L3208A to XTL5000 Mobile Consolette. If memory serves me correctly, the DDN6333 cable is straight through pin for pin, but the Accessory-2 connector pinouts are different between the Astro Spectra Consolette that used the DDN6333 and an XTL5000 Mobile Consolette.

You'd have to compare the Accessory-2 pinout between the two consolette's against the pinout of the Digital Spectra port of the L3208A to be sure.

Bill

Disregard the Post #7. I just pulled up the Accessory-2 connectors from both Astro XTL5000 Digital and Astro Spectra/Spectra Plus Consolettes.
The pinouts are identical with regard to interfacing with the L3208A Digital Junction Box. Attached is a pdf copy for your reference.
Time to check jumpers on the AIB in the XTL and if those are ok then you need to scope the audio paths to determine where the fault exists.

Bill

Attachments

• L3208A to Astro XTL5000 -Spectra +Spectra Plus Consolette.pdf
    74.9 KB · Views: 17

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
Already double checked the the programming of the RCH3000, everything is set per the manual. I wish I had a scope it would had been figured it out by now. And yes Accessory port 2 is being used.

wgbecks

You could download a soundcard scope program and make a cable to probe for audio using the PC's mic/line input jack. It's only analog audio, so nothing exotic is necessary to look for the presence of signal.

Short of doing that, I recall you mentioned a friend has a similar setup, that works. Perhaps you can take your RCH3000, L3208A and cables over there to sub out individually with his components as a test?

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
OK some progress made, I now have audio into the hand set on the RX and desk top speaker, Now to find the problem with the handset TX audio.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
Cold solder joint, might had cracked do not know. hit it with the iron and it's alive on the RX side. Have an idea what you are gona say.

Status
Not open for further replies.