• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro radio questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxMcCloud

So I know that the Astro radios are prone failure due to the EEPROM failing after they have exceeded their read\write cycles. I have seen two XTS3Ks with the painful 01/82 error. I own a XTS3000 and two Astro sabers, and at some point I'd imagine the EEPROM will die. Are there any repairs that are feasible enough to preform at home? I can solder well enough, but I'm not sure if that would be any help with this problem.

Also there is a Astro Saber MOD I available in the band that I want, but I hate how it's a model I, is it possible to frankenstein a MOD I into a MOD II with parts from another saber? I think even the MOD I has the internal keypad and navigation buttons, but I am unsure of adding the screen and the zones.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Model I do not have any keypad all that has to be added. It can be done to change a model I to a II or III but needs Depot or a down and dirty hack. Finding radios in the right band is easier and cheaper in the long run..

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Honestly, it's time to retire the XTS3000/Astro Sabers. I get why people like the AS, the form factor and classic "Saber" look. Beyond that, their ANCIENT radios, have lackluster P25 performance (compared to Astro 25 and newer stuff from other vendors), use archaic CPS that hasn't been updated since Windows Vista was released, and aren't exactly easy for the novice to "upgrade" due to what is required. Battery life is abysmal compared to Astro 25 portables, there's no logical reason to sink a dime into these road apple radios when Astro 25 stuff is dirt cheap these days.
CPS runs on modern hardware/operating systems, while off support, most still have much life remaining and parts are plentiful right now.

Keep your VHF/UHF XTS5000s "alive" with a stash of cheap and plenty 800MHz XTS5000s. Sans the RF board, all other hardware is the same.

prcguy

I prefer the XTS2500, the latest and last of the series. Its smaller than the rest and what can a 5000 do that a 2500 can't for most of us?

Honestly, it's time to retire the XTS3000/Astro Sabers. I get why people like the AS, the form factor and classic "Saber" look. Beyond that, their ANCIENT radios, have lackluster P25 performance (compared to Astro 25 and newer stuff from other vendors), use archaic CPS that hasn't been updated since Windows Vista was released, and aren't exactly easy for the novice to "upgrade" due to what is required. Battery life is abysmal compared to Astro 25 portables, there's no logical reason to sink a dime into these road apple radios when Astro 25 stuff is dirt cheap these days.
CPS runs on modern hardware/operating systems, while off support, most still have much life remaining and parts are plentiful right now.

Keep your VHF/UHF XTS5000s "alive" with a stash of cheap and plenty 800MHz XTS5000s. Sans the RF board, all other hardware is the same.

FoxMcCloud

I happen to own the XTS5K, and they are far more practical than the astro line of radios. I just however want to preserve them, they are nice radios that are becoming rare, and still do suit me a purpose. I completely understand the augment, there is no question, the Astro25 radios are far superior. I am just interested in knowing if the EEPROM is replaceable from a common enough supply to repair the astro radio's, because if I can save a very unique radio from the trash with a 10 dollar part; I'm obviously going to do that. I by no means want to use these as 'daily drivers', I use XTS5 and 2500 for that.

Never was a fan of the 2500... Reminds me too much of the Waris..I never like those either...
I'm perfectly fine with the Waris Radios, the HT1250 is a pretty good radio. I got one for pretty cheap from a liquidation, barley used MOD III. Only complaints are the lack of FPP, and no drag and drop in the CPS. The XTS2500 is a good radio, basicly a XTS5K in a different case.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I prefer the XTS2500, the latest and last of the series. Its smaller than the rest and what can a 5000 do that a 2500 can't for most of us?
The 2500 isn't nearly as serviceable. And if hardware encryption is needed, the UCM is much easier to deal with in a 5000 than the cockamamie keypad board having to be swapped out. Not to mention the ZIF connector failures on the 2500. It was a cost cutter radio.

The 5K is much better made, and easier for a self maintained end user to swap housings on without hosing up those fragile ZIF connectors, not to mention if PTT, knobs or controls get damaged on a 5K, just grab one of those plentiful 800 XTS5Ks for cheap and swap on a new housing. XTS2500? Oh your knobs broken? Hope you've got a good hot air station, skills and patience.

K2NEC

The 2500 isn't nearly as serviceable. And if hardware encryption is needed, the UCM is much easier to deal with in a 5000 than the cockamamie keypad board having to be swapped out. Not to mention the ZIF connector failures on the 2500. It was a cost cutter radio.

The 5K is much better made, and easier for a self maintained end user to swap housings on without hosing up those fragile ZIF connectors, not to mention if PTT, knobs or controls get damaged on a 5K, just grab one of those plentiful 800 XTS5Ks for cheap and swap on a new housing. XTS2500? Oh your knobs broken? Hope you've got a good hot air station, skills and patience.
Yes I definitely agree. I have had numerous ZIF connectors break on me on both Waris radios and the XTS2500s. They are way to fragile. I have never had to recase an XTS5000 but from what I have seen it seems super simple and self explanatory. The UCM is a PITA on the 2500 and the AN models? Forget it. Won't fine any housings for em.

But for some reason, I always go back to the 2500s :ROFLMAO:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Ive still got one last full keypad VHF Astro Saber kicking around for analog and a conventional P25 channel here or there, very nice early dsp motorola receiver cleans up nice, nice specimen of the day. I even had the 2 inch lithium ion battery a decade ago with an old astro saber, nice and slim. Ive had a few of them and everytime I sell it I found myself looking for another so Ive agreed to keep this one here on out

The beater XTS5000's on 800 are dime a dozen now. The XTS3000s are close enough you couldnt go much lower for a working unit unless your going to give it away like an HT000 or 800 MTS.

Ive got to pickup another XTS2500. You can make it a very nice size, I like to use the slimmest li-ion battery thats pretty much flat against the radio. I use the 9862 thinest battery on my XTSs, turns it from a fat toad and modernizes it with half the thickness. Reminded me of HT1250 knobs and antenna which are on the board itself. I admit I sometimes pickup XTS5000s by the antenna, these 5000s I have the confidence of the chassis holding it up, Ive never broke one that way but its not like Im daily beating them. I can't have that same confidence in the XTS2500 although Im sure the mount is good it isnt as good as the 5000. Snarlingrabiddog radio guy on ebay said it well the 2500s can have "fatman" issue where the radio is on the belt and the knobs and antenna somewhat easily overcome and damaged and bent from "excess mass".

All the 2500's components are the board itself, so you cannot jump for a $45 ebay housing w/knobs/speaker installed when 5000's breaks or wears out bad, you could shear them off and smash in the speaker and for $45 bucks fixes you radio this week. If you go Ape and somehow break off the 5000's antenna socket, a quick ebay 800 beater will you have a new chassis and its a simple as clipping on the wire from the board. I was never a fan of waris battery points, they get bent or breakoff, no problem an a 5000, the power plate is a simple swap. You can get displays, keypad, and aftermarket housing w/knobs/speaker from china now. There really isnt anything you CANT do unless its completely crapped out. One tough radio. Take it a part and its a solid hunk of metal your working you'll see that inspires confidence in durability

Good stuff comes around every often if your there to catch it. Recently jumped on a stupid good deal for two super mint condition XTS5000R's M2 in Yellow FM so its got all them "cool green FM stickers", I always buy like new radios and these were too good condition and price had to buy both. not even a scratch on the screens. Always wanted a Yellow Ruggedized FM XTS5000R. These were apparantly FD bought in 2010, Im guessing cache radios by the condition and tucked away then liquidated when fd upgraded to phase 2 in 2018, these 5000s were nothin but analog smart and channel announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.