• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ASTRO Saber: CHECKSUM Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
When I try to read an ASTR Saber II that I have, the RSS will begin to read the codeplug, but then stop and give me this "CHECKSUM" error. Is this fixable? More importantly, what does it mean?

bezking

It means some part of the codeplug is corrupt. If you have a known good save file, try writing it straight into the radio without reading first.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, the only other one I have is for a Model I. I did try to load it, but I got the same error message. Making matters worse, I don't have a SmartRIB. I've been looking for one for years, but can't seem to find one. For further reference, the model number is H04SDF9PW7AN and the FLASHcode is 100004-00000-4. Also, the RSS is version number 09.05.00.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Oh, and one other thing. It doesn't seem to be any particular codeplug block number. When reading the radio, it once got up to block 11 before giving me the error message. Sometimes, it doesn't go past 1, yet other times it'll go past 6 or 7. It was read at some point, because the radio was set to factory defaults, with "Z1 CHAN 1" on the screen and no other channels programmed.

bezking

What is the flashcode and software versions here? Are you actually using DOS-based RSS or are you using Windows CPS?`

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
What is the flashcode and software versions here? Are you actually using DOS-based RSS or are you using Windows CPS?`

I'm using DOS-based RSS 09.05.00, and the flashcode is 100004-00000-4. It was re-flashed, because the original label was covered with a new label with that flashcode on it.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Here's what the label says:
FLASHcode: 100004-000000-4
System Package: H37
Manufactured 8/4/2003

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
If your using a software that is probably too old. Astro software for Astro sabers latest version 5.03 It may have been programmed with CPS

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Are you running the RSS in a DOS box under Windows or are you booting directly to DOS to run it?

I don't believe the RSS unpacks and checks the codeplug until it's finished reading it so it's probably unlikely it's corrupt.

Sounds more like a communications problem then a codeplug problem.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Are you running the RSS in a DOS box under Windows or are you booting directly to DOS to run it?

I don't believe the RSS unpacks and checks the codeplug until it's finished reading it so it's probably unlikely it's corrupt.

Sounds more like a communications problem then a codeplug problem.

I was running it in a window on a machine running Windows 3.1. I'll try running it in pure DOS mode. However, it seems unlikely that the RSS is the problem since the eBay seller was selling it as for "parts or repair". The listing also said that the radio was surplused because it couldn't be programmed. I got it thinking that it was something small, like the former owner not having the right RSS version.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
RSS doesn't like Windows.

You need to boot right into DOS to run it properly.

You can make codeplug changes in Windows but reading and writing to the radio are a definite no no.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Good news: codeplug read. Bad news: "Codeplug too new for this application." This is the second time I have tried to program an ASTRO Saber II or III and got this message.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
All it means is that the version of software used to program it last is newer than the version you've got.

Since you've got the last version of RSS that was produced before CPS was introduced, you'll have to make the jump to CPS.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
All it means is that the version of software used to program it last is newer than the version you've got.

Since you've got the last version of RSS that was produced before CPS was introduced, you'll have to make the jump to CPS.

Does Motorola still make the CPS for the ASTRO Saber?

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Dont need a smart rib to program them If you want to upgrade the firmware then you would.,

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Dont need a smart rib to program them If you want to upgrade the firmware then you would.,

I know that, but I would like one because I was hoping to make the readable Model I that I have into a Model II or III, if that's how you do it.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
RSS doesn't like Windows.

You need to boot right into DOS to run it properly.

You can make codeplug changes in Windows but reading and writing to the radio are a definite no no.

+1! The Sabers are VERY choosy when it comes to reading or writing. Even the clock speed of the CPU affects weather or not it will be a good read and or write.

Status
Not open for further replies.