• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Saber encryption key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Securevoice

Hi everyone,

I have being doing some recent tests with my Astro Sabers equipped with DES-OFB. I learned that when a personality is set up for IMBE and the Astro secure unmute rule is set to normal sq the radio will unmute on any known key regardless if a specific key has been strapped to the personality or not. I also found out that the recieving radio is being forced to switch to the same key as it recieves. This only for a few seconds then it switches back to either the strapped key or to the original user selected key. Is this feature a specific OFB thing? I take it that this will never get to work in 12kbit operation? Thanks in advance.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the feature also supports 12kbit XL?
I am playing with some Systems Sabers with DES XL and I recall a programming feature where the transmit key follows a received key. Sorry I cannot recall exactly what it was called. I am still on the re learning curve of this old tech. The help files were not to helpful.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Securevoice

I also have a few SS with DES-XL and also some with Multikey Modules. I never got to fully crack the trickyness of the SS. Some say Indexing is the key to the feature you´re refering to. There are some variations of 12kbit which has a similar feature. Having the radio set for scan would then force the loaded keys to be scanned. This option probably dosn´t reply to P25 and the commonly know encryption types. If you dig into SS again plz let me know.

Securevoice

So I finally found out the 12kbit does have the same feature of shifting keys. Don´t know about other radios like the Jedi series but my Astro Sabers now do shift keys in 12kbit mode as well. Basically it seems to work the exact same way as with P25 except that in 12kbit mode the transmitting radio uses MDC1200 as a reference as to where recieving radios should look for the key. That´s where the key index comes in and I actually didn´t change anything in the indexing as the old set up already had index on the KVL. So what I did was to migrate Securenet (there´s an option next to the CKR field in the CPS) and left the CKR field disabled as the index already seemed suitable in my case. As far as I understand the CKR is more an APCO25 thing (something PS users wanted to keep track of the many indexes that may excist across states/nation). Only disadvantage as I see it is that you will have to live with the MDC1200 burst at the beginning of every secure transmission in 12kbit mode. I use a repeater most of the time and the Base station then switches between analog and CVSD re-clocking on every relaying (then disables the FM modulator after a second) which actually seems to be no problem so far I mean practically (of course it works) as I was worried it would be annoying as hell.
Besides the advantage of having different keys to intercommunicate with out having to pre-call using analog transmissions it certainly improves security when using more than just one single key per channel. The keys now kinda roll in an unpredictable pattern as users don´t have to use a specific key anymore. There may be some security issues although depending on the way the keys are being used and how different radios (levels of users) are being programmed. If a higher ranking radio has a shared key and a lower ranking radio uses this key on a given channel the higher ranking radio then will shift to this key as it recognizes it in the key index list despite the users previous selection of key. An immediate callback then forces the higher ranking radio to use the same key (the shared key) which may or may not make sense depending on the circumstances. Otherwise the higher ranking radio will have to wait 2 sec before next transmission (it then uses the Op-select key or the key being strapped in the CPS to the given personality). That´s where educating user in any Organization becomes vital in the attempt to understand how this works. When used properly it´s actually very useful tool.

RFI-EMI-GUY

That is pretty neat. I wonder if there is a system planner document that describes these features.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.