• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Saber Housing Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam55671

Hello,
I have a 800MHz Astro Saber Model III. I bought a new housing for it since the old one is banged up. Does anybody know how to remove the internal components from the old housing and put it into the new one?
Thank You

RFI-EMI-GUY

There are two slotted nuts on the bottom of the housing, the battery plate. They require a split screwdriver found in those security screw assortments from Sears.

Once you loosen the two slotted nuts you can slowly pull the radio chassis using the antenna . Just be sure not to touch any of the side buttons or PTT or you will booger up the dome switches.

When you reassemble, take the same precautions as above. Also you must seat the sleeves that surround the nut before you tighten them. Press the radio chassis into the housing firmly before tightening the split nuts.

Before assembly, I usually take time to clean and lubricate the O ring at the control top with a small amount of GE silicon grease. That area collects a lot of grime and is a potential area for water leakage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sam55671

There are two slotted nuts on the bottom of the housing, the battery plate. They require a split screwdriver found in those security screw assortments from Sears.

Once you loosen the two slotted nuts you can slowly pull the radio chassis using the antenna . Just be sure not to touch any of the side buttons or PTT or you will booger up the dome switches.

When you reassemble, take the same precautions as above. Also you must seat the sleeves that surround the nut before you tighten them. Press the radio chassis into the housing firmly before tightening the split nuts.

Before assembly, I usually take time to clean and lubricate the O ring at the control top with a small amount of GE silicon grease. That area collects a lot of grime and is a potential area for water leakage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Ok, Thank You

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Also, make sure the two small o-rings are still on the studs on the bottom of the chassis and not stuck in the old housing. Without the small o-rings, you can tighten the housing too much and then the battery won't fit correctly and dust/dirt/moisture will find its way into the radio via the missing o-rings.

sam55671

Also, make sure the two small o-rings are still on the studs on the bottom of the chassis and not stuck in the old housing. Without the small o-rings, you can tighten the housing too much and then the battery won't fit correctly and dust/dirt/moisture will find its way into the radio via the missing o-rings.
Ok, Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.