• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ASTRO Saber not RX'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I have a ASTRO Saber I UHF (H04RDC9PW5AN) and I am unable to get it to receive anything. It reads and programs fine, but it just won't do anything. I turn it on and get a "beep", but that's about it. Also, none of the sidekeys seem to do anything. Since the PTT is deactivated for RX-only operation, it should give some sort of tone when pushed, but I get nothing. I tried programming in an FRS channel and testing it by keying up an FRS radio I have, but nothing. It programs fine, but just won't do anything. Is something dead in it?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
A bad frame flex circuit is a very likely problem. One way to check that is to hook up a speaker/mic to it. Can you TX with it?

If so, the frame flex is almost certainly bad. I don't know if they're still available or not. I do know that
the complete frame/flex assembly is NLA.

Changing out the flex on the frame is a minor pain but it's not too bad a job.

Elroy

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
A bad frame flex circuit is a very likely problem. One way to check that is to hook up a speaker/mic to it. Can you TX with it?

If so, the frame flex is almost certainly bad. I don't know if they're still available or not. I do know that
the complete frame/flex assembly is NLA.

Changing out the flex on the frame is a minor pain but it's not too bad a job.

Elroy

Where did you get the NLA from? Mine's NTN7268B. Also, it has a production date of 04/02/1997, if that's of any use. As for replacing the flex, wouldn't it be easier to just get a new frame for it?

OK. I just pulled it apart and put it back together again, which seems to normally correct problems with things I have. Well, not this time. Now, it won't do anything. The battery's fine (I just tested it with a VHF SecureNet that I have), so I don't know what the problem is. I'll try to program a TX freq into it and see what happens. Unfortunately, I do not have a speaker mic for it.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
How did you "deactivate" the ptt?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
FYI: NTN7268B CTRL TOP/CHASSIS is still available with a lead time of 2 days @ $215 list.
NTN7268B Photo: Enlarged

I don't particularly want to spend $250 on a part that I might be able to pull from a parts radio on eBay (if I ever win one--I've bid on three in the last month and have lost all of them).

Oh, and my bad electronics luck continues today...
I decided to update some of the freq's on my VHF Saber II SecureNet. Well, I went to program the new channels in, and the RSS somehow corrupted the CORE, COPE-External, and COPE-Internal. I don't exactly know how, because I had my eyes on the radio the entire time and there were no power interruptions. Now, the screen's blank except for the battery and encryption icons and the radio won't do anything. :( :( :(

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
I don't particularly want to spend $250 on a part that I might be able to pull from a parts radio on eBay (if I ever win one--I've bid on three in the last month and have lost all of them).

If you end up paying $250 for something that lists at $215, you need to find a new supplier.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
You don't. You just select "receive-only" or something like that in the ASTRO Portible RSS, and it leaves the transmit frequency blank.

There are actually several ways of preventing TX on these radios. Some hardware, some software.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I hate to be the one to ask, but is the software you used bootlegged or paid for. You could have a corrupted software that someone passed your way if it's the first part of my message. Also, if you don't have enough juice to the radio or RIB, you could have problems as well.

mancow

Database Admin
You should be able to create a new codeplug in the saber rss to clear the error.

Oh, and my bad electronics luck continues today...
I decided to update some of the freq's on my VHF Saber II SecureNet. Well, I went to program the new channels in, and the RSS somehow corrupted the CORE, COPE-External, and COPE-Internal. I don't exactly know how, because I had my eyes on the radio the entire time and there were no power interruptions. Now, the screen's blank except for the battery and encryption icons and the radio won't do anything. :( :( :(

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to create a new codeplug in the saber rss to clear the error.

I'll try that. It seemed to work the last time the codeplug got messed up.

Oh, and as for the ASTRO Saber, I suspect the chassis is the problem. It stopped working after I pulled it apart to check the P/N and reassembled it. In this process, I disconnected the flex from the board. I suspect the flex is bad, even though I did not see any damage anywhere.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I tried to enter a new codeplug on my VHF Saber. Same problem: checksum errors in the CORE, COPE-Internal, and COPE-External.

kotaguchi

Premium Subscriber
Also,if the flex assembly is not properly making contact with the frame,ie:the adhesive on the flex assembly backing is worn and no longer adhering to the frame, I have found that I had a similar issue in the past with a Astro Saber I previously owned.Solution is use a double sided tape to make the flex backing make the contact with the frame assembly.

Regards,

Ko

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Also,if the flex assembly is not properly making contact with the frame,ie:the adhesive on the flex assembly backing is worn and no longer adhering to the frame, I have found that I had a similar issue in the past with a Astro Saber I previously owned.Solution is use a double sided tape to make the flex backing make the contact with the frame assembly.

Regards,

Ko

The flex is is attached securely to the frame, so that's not the problem. I suspect something's wrong with the frame and I'll just have to replace it.

DFD855

the curcuit flex comes up the side of the chassis, and folds under the top control assy. the combination of the flex being very ridgid in that area and it being soldered there makes it real easy to tear the flex. and it always tears on the inside fold. the very outside trace on the flex is for the PTT, MON., etc. look at it very closely under a bright light and you will see what Im talking about. If you replace the flex you have to replace the top controls also hence thats why its so expensive..

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
An Update

Well, I got another ASTRO Saber (a Model 3). I tried to swap out the chassis, but the radio still wouldn't work. I guess it's fried. Now, I'm stuck with an 800MHz ASTRO Saber III. On a side note, is it possible to change the frequency range on these (like the older Sabers)?

Status
Not open for further replies.