• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro saber programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

Yea I have a XTS3000 and just programmed it with a R232 cable. So since the XTS and the Astro Saber are electronically identical, they should both not need a RIB box right?
I would hope so, but I’ve been looking for an Astro Saber ribless cable for years, & can’t find one. So the few times I need to program it, out comes the laptop to rib cable, the rib, the battery, & the rib to radio cable. Yet when I needed a ribless cable for a MTX9250 last year, it took 2 minutes to find one online.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
So this one will work with the RIB box? The only reason why I ask is because the pin out is different between these two?
(Radio Programming Cable for Motorola Astro Saber 811714014821 | eBay) With RIB box

(Motorola NKN6505A Astro-Saber Radio Data Cable RS-232 to Computer Serial Port | eBay) With out RIB box
The first one with a rib box is what you need.

There was never a RIBLESS cable made. The second cable was to hook a portable up for packet data usage or MOSCAD.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
It will probably work. Whatever you do, read the radio and archive a couple copies of the original codeplug. That way if there is a problem rewriting it you can try another configuration. The new WIN10 OS may be a bugaboo. WINXP was probably last support for CPS. I am running WINXP and same CPS here. But will have to change OS soon, and I think that may be the end of it. Meaning another CPU sitting on a shelf in case I ever need it. I still have a DOS IBM pizza box for all things before.

I've been running CPS 05.03.00 on Windows 7, works fine. I'd watch out for Widows 10, though. I also run Windows 7 in a virtual machine using Virtual Box.

Best bet... get a copy of Virtual Box and install WinXP or Win7 on that to use for programming older stuff. Works well.

I run the DOS software using a bootable USB thumb drive running RUFUS DOS, also works well.

FoxMcCloud

I've been running CPS 05.03.00 on Windows 7, works fine. I'd watch out for Widows 10, though. I also run Windows 7 in a virtual machine using Virtual Box.

Best bet... get a copy of Virtual Box and install WinXP or Win7 on that to use for programming older stuff. Works well.

I run the DOS software using a bootable USB thumb drive running RUFUS DOS, also works well.
I have XP X86 on Vmware, works flawlessly with CPS 5.03.00. I have tried this unmentionable version of the Astro software on FreeDOS with RufusUSB. I wasn't able to get it to open the codeplug, but it read the radio just fine. Well okie dokie, looks like I know what to buy. Thank you all.

FoxMcCloud

I need some help here, I got the RIB box, the programming cable, a computer with a true R232 serial port (and yes the drivers are installed) and CPS 5.03.00. I get nothing from the radio when trying to read from it. I can see the data light blink a few times, but neither radios answer

FoxMcCloud

Specifically what RIB box and what programing cable?
I think I know who you are hehe. I got it working, it was an issue with the RIB box, wasn't getting enough amps from the power supply I was using. Just bought a stupid battery for a million dollars. It's working fine now

Status
Not open for further replies.