• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Saber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martymartin

Hi, me again. I want to know if this Saber 800 mhz radio is set up to do conventional on a Smartzone 2 system Apco 25 digital.

Model: H04UCF9PW7AN
FLASHCODE: 400004-000000-8

H14 Digital ID Display
H37 SmartNet Operation

This is what's in the radio now. I have a STX 821 coming soon to listen to analog, I am looking for something to do digital though. Thanks...

martymartin

That was fast...

Hi, that was fast. Analog...are you talking the Saber? I know the STX 821 is analog, but I thought the Saber's did digital if they had the right firmware. I could be wrong though.
I am just trying to get a Moto to do digital with out giving out my first born...$$$$.
Don't want to spend 500 on a scanner. Scanners are junk compared to the Motorola's.
Can't see spending that much on any scanner. Thanks.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You answered your own question with that flashcode, that's what shows what the radio is capable of. It is analog only...

martymartin

Thanks...

Thanks, I don't need another analog radio. Is it possible to flash it for digital conventional?
I saw the radio with new battery, charger, it is a type 2 Saber; bid is 31.09 right now.

Josh

Once again, this is a case of mistaken identity.

The radio you are talking about does analog AND DIGITAL, as-is. HOWEVER, the first number of the flash-code is EVEN, which is an indicator of a VSELP digital radio.

If you run it through the flash decoder, "conventional operation" comes up, rather than Astro Ready (analog only operation).

Regardless, unless you need VSELP (and that's extremely rare), then you're best off avoiding that radio. It's inexpensive for a reason. I have one VSELP Astro Saber that sees 99.9% of its uses on analog!

-Josh

martymartin

Thanks...

Another one bites the dust. I will avoid that one. Thanks for the replies...
Would I be better off with a MTS 2000? And get it flashed for digital conventional?

martymartin

Wasn't sure...

Thanks. Will keep looking for one. Can't afford the XTS series as of yet. Thanks all.

MattSR

Josh said:
Once again, this is a case of mistaken identity.

The radio you are talking about does analog AND DIGITAL, as-is. HOWEVER, the first number of the flash-code is EVEN, which is an indicator of a VSELP digital radio.

If you run it through the flash decoder, "conventional operation" comes up, rather than Astro Ready (analog only operation).

Regardless, unless you need VSELP (and that's extremely rare), then you're best off avoiding that radio. It's inexpensive for a reason. I have one VSELP Astro Saber that sees 99.9% of its uses on analog!

-Josh

Correct - a radio WITHOUT the "Analog only Operation" and an even first digit indicates VSELP Digital. Especially since it has Digital ID display too.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Be warned, you can't really use any Motorola portable on a SmartZone system, as a scanner, if you're not authorized to transmit. If the radio is set to SmartZone operation,
it WILL auto-affiliate and if you're not authorized, this is BAD NEWS. At best your radio will
be inhibited or killed, at worst the radio will be traced and trouble will knock on your door.

I strongly advise you to stick with a scanner.

Besides, where are you going to get system keys?

Elroy

W8RW

martymartin said:
I am just trying to get a Moto to do digital with out giving out my first born...$$$$.
Don't want to spend 500 on a scanner. Scanners are junk compared to the Motorola's.
Can't see spending that much on any scanner. Thanks.

Let's separate the issues a little bit.

Performance:

You say that the scanners are junk. In what way? The things that come to my mind are reception quality and ruggedness. No argument here.

Cost:

You will end up spending quite a bit more to use a Motorola radio as a digital scanner than you will on a scanner. Ignoring the cost of the radio ($300-1500), here is what I came up with. Obviously, if you know someone who has some of these things, it will be less.

1. Computer interface (either a rib+cable or a standalone cable) $100-200
2. Software $400
3. If the radio you buy does not come with a good battery and charger, add $50
4. If the system you are going to monitor is affected by rebanding and your radio firmware doesn't support it, add $75 to send it in to Motorola for a firmware upgrade
5. And then there is the issue that Elroy pointed out of not having system keys. How much will the lawyer and fines be?

Between the scanner and software, I have less than $400 invested in a digital trunking scanner. For that price, I am willing to put up with some occasional poor reception.

Grog

Banned
I knew sooner or later someone would jump on him for getting on a trunked system :lol:

martymartin said:
Hi, me again. I want to know if this Saber 800 mhz radio is set up to do conventional on a Smartzone 2 system Apco 25 digital.

You mention conventional and then you mention smartzone, those are two very different things.

Grog

Banned
martymartin said:
I meant conventional...not trunking. Thanks...

Cool, that will keep the "OMGcan'tlistentoatrunkedsystemwitharadio" crowd off your back for a while :lol:

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
It's not that you can't listen to such a trunked system with that kind of radio...you can...but to be done safely, it requires you to make an investment in further learning and a commitment
to doing it safely without any chance of an inadvertent transmission into that system.

It's not for the beginner or even for the experienced user of conventional scanners.

I do it...safely...but even I have to be very careful about how I set things up. One small
mistake can cause problems.

I view any awareness on the part of the system operators that they have an unauthorized
radio listening ot them as a problem. It's best if they NEVER know for sure.

Elroy

martymartin

Yeah, I see what you are saying...

No I never wanted to get on their trunked system. I was just looking for a low cost Motorola to do our conventional channels. I saw a Saber a while back on Fleabay that had the digital software in it and the guy was a firefighter and bought an XTS 2500 and didn't need it anymore. But, I lost the bid by fifty bucks. He even said he would program in my conventionsl channels. Oh well....wasn't meant to be I guess. I know all about the perils of trying to hook up to the system in trunking mode. By the way...did you guys see the top post in this catergory....very funny stuff. Thanks for all your replies. I guess I'll keep looking here and on the bay for a good radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.