• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Spectra Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman60

Hello Everyone,

Getting ready to do install on the F 350.
Will be remote mounting 2 AS high power units.
And will be adding an XTL 5000 and taking out one of the AS in future.
Also in the setup an HLN 1439 siren/pa DEK A-9 and A-7 control heads

I am running # 4 wire from engine compartment to behind seat area and placing a second fuse box there.

My main question is I see people installing and then there batteries going dead. Will the Ignition soft power off in the CPS take care of that not happening or would I be better off to use some continuous duty solenoids to turn of all power to radios when the ignition is off. The reason I ask is the truck may sit for 2 weeks to a month between uses.

Multiple Radios

i just did a install on my 2006 Ford Escape i use a 75AMP Relay for all of mine hot from the battery then run the hot from the relay to a fuse block. i use a ON\OFF switch to turn everything on or off.

clbsquared

i just did a install on my 2006 Ford Escape i use a 75AMP Relay for all of mine hot from the battery then run the hot from the relay to a fuse block. i use a ON\OFF switch to turn everything on or off.
+1 for the relay. Or use a master switch to shut the battery off for the entire vehicle. Especially if it could be sitting still for up to a month at a time.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

N4KVE

I use the common 5 pin relay with an ign "hot" wire to power the relay when I turn my key to start the car. My worry was there was a small draw on the battery from the radio even if the radio was off. This way, the radio never sees power,unless the ign key is on. To use an on/off switch to the car battery means having to reset the clock, & radio every time the master switch is turned back on.

toolman60

Ok guys thanks for the input. I will just go with a 75-80 amp continuous duty relay using ignition sense to to energize it to the rear of truck when it running. And then smaller relays on the orange and green to be energized when truck is running. The truck is only used on weekends for pleasure and it may sit couple weeks to a month between starts.

Only other way would be to add a battery disconnect between battery and remote fuse block but I think relays will be the better way to do it.

clbsquared

To use an on/off switch to the car battery means having to reset the clock, & radio every time the master switch is turned back on.

True. But if you're savvy enough with automobile level installs, and you don't want to lose the clock or memory presets, then just tap the memory feed of the radio and go directly to the battery and bypass the master switch.

cmdrwill

Ah, the "memory presets" is on the big red cable, which IS supposed to be hooked to the battery directly. Otherwise one looses some settings, like last channel and scan settings. The Spectra, Astro Spectra and XTl were not designed to have the main battery feed interrupted

We run one 8 gauge power lead for the main radio feed, multi radios, direct to the battery, fused at the battery. Another 10 or 8 ga for the siren and lights. Some installs sharing the same battery feed had bad noise issues in the radio transmit audio, clicking from the lights switching, and whine from the siren..Had to separate the radio(s), and siren/lights main battery feed. Cheep installers had only ran one, and shared the same grounds..

toolman60

Will,
I understand that about the big red cable, Will there be a problem draining the battery if I leave it uninterrupted.So then I need to more or less stick to the install manual and pray it does not drain battery if it sets for a month.
And the siren/PA will be on separate run from battery to remote fuse location behind the seat.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Will,
I understand that about the big red cable, Will there be a problem draining the battery if I leave it uninterrupted.So then I need to more or less stick to the install manual and pray it does not drain battery if it sets for a month.
And the siren/PA will be on separate run from battery to remote fuse location behind the seat.

Easy way to overcome that is use a small solar trickle charger to keep the little bit of loss from the radio compensated for. You can usually pick them up for $20-$30 bucks.

toolman60

Easy way to overcome that is use a small solar trickle charger to keep the little bit of loss from the radio compensated for. You can usually pick them up for $20-$30 bucks.

Already had that parked on side of pea brain.
Will be giving thought to how all this going to work out. I know I will be running the battery feeds this weekend and doing all the ground strapping and pulling some wire loom for the back up camera.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Solar is an option if you park where the sun shines. I use a small one when I'm camping, just to offset the occasional use of lights inside my shell.

Many years ago I was on the road and stopped at a rest area. A couple of humvees pulled in behind me. They all had a small 4" x 12" solar panel on the front hood, I guess to keep the battery charged with all the sitting they do.

I'm building out a new service truck for work, and it'll have a few radios, rechargeable flashlight, probably few rechargeable tools, etc. My plan is to install a small panel somewhere just to offset the minimal draw. Even though with the current truck, it's not been an issue when left sitting for a week. That truck has the radios wired to the battery and a ignition sense lead to control them.

toolman60

A week would not worry me to much either. But it may stay parked for a month before it gets to be used again so thats what I worried about.

cmdrwill

I have an Astro hi power on the bench now, I will measure the keep alive current. I remember just about 5 mA or so.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Use ignition sense on the radios. You won't have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toolman60

Looks as if I am around 1.7 a standby draw on just the radios could not find the spec for the 1439 standby current if there is any from it.

i have used the 75AMP relay in everything i have own 9 years in my 1994 Ford Crownvic never a battery problem just a simple ON\OFF switch so if i want to monitor the radios i can with out the IGN ON\OFF key.

toolman60

David,

As Will pointed out in post # 7 do you have the problems he explained or is it not an issue with your setup if it remembers the last state of power on.

i had problems when i used 2 Motorola Maratrac's in my car then i came up with the 75AMP relay it fixed my problem never a dead battery.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The radios when turned off should NOT kill the battery unless there is a problem with the radio package itself. When I install radios in unmarked cars I use the same switched ignition line that runs the AM/FM radio. It gives you about 10 min of on time before it shuts off, or you can leave the radio on while sitting and when you open the door they shut off. Both Ford and Dodge have the radio set up this way.

clbsquared

The radios when turned off should NOT kill the battery unless there is a problem with the radio package itself. When I install radios in unmarked cars I use the same switched ignition line that runs the AM/FM radio. It gives you about 10 min of on time before it shuts off, or you can leave the radio on while sitting and when you open the door they shut off. Both Ford and Dodge have the radio set up this way.
That's what I do. Only I run it to a relay. Given that the wire size on that particular circuit is small.

Status
Not open for further replies.