• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ASTRO Spectra no TX Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I recenetly picked up an ASTRO Spectra (Model No: T99DX+089_AST; ID No: D04KKF9PW5AN). I got it home and programmed it with a code plug I had in another radio that works beautifly. I then tried to key my local repeater and got nothing back. I then went to a repeater that did not use PL tones and it worked. I did notice that the radio is able to receive everything that gets programmed into it. I took the radio to a friends house and hooked it to their CSM and found that there was no TX audio or PL tones being generated and the radio puts out 45W. I then attempted to swap the VOCODER board from an 800 MHz radio I had lying around. The radio DID NOT like this at all and I sawpped them back. I then attemped an alignment using tuner and found that the RO was only like 27 Hz off frequency, but oddly it did not like to TX around the 150 MHz mark and a wierd whining noise could be heard (not sure where it was coming from but it was only on 150 and only while the radio was keyed).

Does anyone know what could cause this? I have the 800 MHz radio available for parts if needed.

Thank you all for your time and assistance

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE: I attempted a command board swap from the same 800 MHz radio that I got the VOCON out of with no success.

Also, another (not new) symptom, I am unable to key the radio using the rear accessory port.

jim202

UPDATE: I attempted a command board swap from the same 800 MHz radio that I got the VOCON out of with no success.

Also, another (not new) symptom, I am unable to key the radio using the rear accessory port.

Before you went and modified the channels in the radio, did you follow good radio tech practices and copy the codeplug for future use? The other common practice is to test the radio on the channels that came with the radio.

Failure to at least test the radio on the channels that radio came with is about as bad as you can get.

On a different note, there are a number of jumpers on the main board that effect both RX audio, TX audio and the PTT on the accessory connector. Some of the jumpers are on the top of the board and some are on the underside of the board.

It would be wise to obtain a manual on the radio before you dig yourself too far into a hole.

Last edited:

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I always keep a copy of the code plug as received for future use and have tested the radio with that code plug with no success. Also I do have every manual published for the ASTRO Spectra line downloaded directly from Motorola online.

Status
Not open for further replies.